ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Phone line

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Missstamper
Ireland

Phone line

Post by Missstamper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Does anyone manage to get through on the citizenship phone line? I’ve tried religiously 50 plus times over the last 2 weeks between 10-12 Tuesdays and Thursday and nothing. Either it rings out or I get a busy tone.

I’ve now moving into 1 year of waiting in the next 2 weeks and emails just return a generic still processing response. It can’t take this long for a simple application (which I think mine is - EU resident, 25 plus years living in Ireland)

Kib
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Phone line

Post by Kib » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 am

I never got through on the phone line. My application turned 17months old on Monday when I surprisingly received my approval letter. I had emailed a week ago for an update and never got any automated response either. Read enough timelines here and you discover no rhyme or reason to application/approval speeds. I have speculation about what happens but that would detract from your topic.

Missstamper
Ireland

Post by Missstamper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks Kib for the reply. Don’t worry I’d love to hear your speculation please share anything to keep me and potentially others sane!

Kib
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kib » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

Missstamper wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 am
Thanks Kib for the reply. Don’t worry I’d love to hear your speculation please share anything to keep me and potentially others sane!
I applied based on marriage to an Irish spouse for Northern Ireland in April 2017. I do not believe my application was even looked at save for copying and returning passports until March 2018.
Why? I was asked to subsequently provide a PSNI report because it was a Northern Ireland application and because I prepared my application in a plastic pocket folder with everything itemised, labelled and a huge sticker on the front stating application was based on marriage in (drum roll) Northern Ireland. Even a cursory perusal should have triggered the PSNI report request earlier.

So... I suspect applications are received, acknowledged but can sit for significant time before even being approached. I too thought my application was straight forward. Clearly a Brexit application, no criminal record, not even a speeding ticket ever etc. No burden on the State as I will remain resident in NI etc etc.

Therefore from March 2018 to September 2018 spanning my first request for further information to my approval letter is .... six months as they state as the application processing time.

Missstamper
Ireland

Post by Missstamper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:01 am

thanks for the reply kib.

your process sounds similar to mine, which i don't know is good or bad for me!

I applied october 2017, no criminal record, no speeding ticket etc. No burden etc etc.

I haven't been asked for any additional information. The only proactive comms i recived from INIS was a letter in April saying;

"Your application for naturalization is currently being processed in the normal way with a view to establishing whether your meet the statutory conditions for the granting of naturalization and will be submitted to the Minister for decision when processing is complete.

If further documentation and/or clarification of any matter related to your application for naturalization is required from you we will be in touch with you in the coming weeks."

I'm not even sure if this is a reference to "2nd stage" or just something to keep me going... Did you receive any letter like this?

If based on the above and that's when they truly started processing it, April + 6 months is October, so I would be nearing completion. Who knows though...!

Ash_g
Ireland

Post by Ash_g » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 am

My timeless is same as you missssstamper

I applied in Oct 2017, received the same letter you got with the same wording in April 2018, then since then nothing.

yala93
Mood:
Ireland

Post by yala93 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:20 am

I've been trying for the last two weeks, no luck either. Posted them additional docs they requested 3 weeks ago but nothing has been acknowledged yet. Sent emails as well, no one came back.

Any advice how to proceed?

IggyB
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by IggyB » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:31 am

Tuesday finally after 73 calls in an hour got them :) so call, call, call until you get them to answer, (redial, redial......) :D :D :D :D

Missstamper
Ireland

Post by Missstamper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:39 am

I was calling from 2 phones last Tuesday and couldn't get through lol. :) :)

IggyB - did you get the information you wanted by getting through ?

It's scandalous that you have to dial 73 times to get through in the first place. I would suspect it's better to close that line rather than give someone false hope!

Yala93 - I suspect there is probably nothing that can be done. Emails are generically answered after weeks, phone line takes 73 attempts, TD's get generic answers - i don't believe there is any accountability for the INIS or anyone to escalate the lack of service to.

IggyB
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by IggyB » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 am

Yes I got all the information I needed, there was one such a nice lady on the phone and she was more than helpful. She deserve customer service award.

2pac4ever
Mood:
Ireland

Post by 2pac4ever » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 pm

@missstamper most of the applicants who are taking longer are non-EU with the vast majority being EUFAM applicants as you can read here ireland/delay-in-citizenship-application-t246135.html
the fact that you’re an EU citizen clearly tells me that there must be something in your application that makes it not straightforward. Which basis are you applying from? If it’s Irish association then it makes sense, they’re people in this forum who reported similar experiences in the past, some even claimed that it’s by far not the best way to get the citizenship given the amount of time it takes to process such applications.
The letter that you received from INIS stating that your application for naturalisation doesn’t seem to be the second stage to me if I’m being honest. What probably happened is that you contacted them in March or April and they responded to you by sending you that letter. In the second stage letter, they’ll clearly mention that your application has now been initially accessed and has proceeded to the second stage of processing. This is when they returned your old passports if they still have it.
@IggyB I don’t think bombarding them with emails or phone calls will help speed up your application. In fact, in one of their letters, INIS clearly stated that “It would greatly assist us if you only contact us if it is absolutely necessary as this will allow us to devote the maximum time to the processing of the applications”. Also, I would advise anybody to contact a lawyer (waste of money) or a TD (waste of time) to speed or request the status of your application. What is obvious to me is that INIS is under resourced to handle the huge number of citizenships which can be partially explained by Brexit. Just how they’re not prepared for that is still beyond me but I guess that’s none of my business but yes it’s unfair to us who have been waiting for so long and are still witnessing some applicants getting decisions.

The only thing to do is to be patient and wait and this is my conclusion

Missstamper
Ireland

Post by Missstamper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply 2pac4ever.

I applied based on 5 years residency (or should that be 27 years residency!!). It’s a straight forward application.
You’re right they are under resourced but like most companies and sectors everyone is - a service should still be supplied.
I received my passport back in 2 weeks with the initial acknowledgment, but it didn’t reference 2nd stage.