ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which is quicker to get “New born British Passport” or “ROA” from India ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Which is quicker to get “New born British Passport” or “ROA” from India ?

Post by Indimarshall2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 am

Firstly sorry for a separate post. Due to the nature of urgency (For an appointment tomorrow) I am posting here and also there are different views expressed in this link for ROA. I also read Vinny’s pinned post.
british-citizenship/can-we-apply-for-ri ... 86259.html
Me and my wife are blessed with a baby girl couple of months ago (July 2018) in India.
Both me and my wife are Naturalized British citizens. Mother received her Naturalization in 2016 & Father in 2014. I am currently in UK and my wife/baby are in India. Tomorrow my wife and baby have an appointment at VFS Hyderabad for the new born British Passport application.

A friend of mine warned me that it took him nearly 14 months to get new born British passport. He got his British passport only 3 month prior to his baby application and wife was on Tier 1 visa. (Not sure if they has played a role). He strongly suggested not to take this route.

Now 14 months is worrying me. I understand this may not happen to me. This is making me think to verify the other route like ROA.

1) Is my kid eligible for ROA considering me and My wife are Naturalized British citizens? Baby doesn’t hold any form of documents citing British citizenship.
2) My understanding is baby should have an Indian passport to apply for ROA. Is this correct ?
3) Is ROA quicker to get compared to British Citizenship ?
4) From reading through some links the baby can give up her Indian citizenship and apply for British citizenship and OCI once she arrives in UK.
5) Does taking ROA first compared to British Passport have any disadvantage for future generations in case if they are to be born India ?
6) Also does anyone know what are the recent timelines for New born British passport from India. I understand this can be case to case but lack of any entries in the following link, I am not able to decide. british-citizenship/british-passport-fo ... 4-340.html

If ROA route seems quicker, I would like to cancel tomorrow’s New born British passport appointment

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Which is quicker to get “New born British Passport” or “ROA” from India ?

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am

My understanding is that a child born to parents who are not Indian citizens (which you are not) cannot apply for an Indian passport and therefore not apply for ROA.

The baby doesn't have to hold any documents 'citing them as British' as the child is automatically British by descent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Post by Indimarshall2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am
My understanding is that a child born to parents who are not Indian citizens (which you are not) cannot apply for an Indian passport and therefore not apply for ROA.

The baby doesn't have to hold any documents 'citing them as British' as the child is automatically British by descent.
Aah Ok.. I didn't think from this perspective. Then a major worry is sorted.
I don't have to regret later that "I could have applied for ROA" in event of any delay in Passport.

Does this mean my only option is to apply for New born British passport ? Am I right ?
Also do you know Avg current timelines ?
Please let me know.

Would like to hear more views if anyone one want to post their's who are currently going through this process i.e waiting for their new born baby passport

mannanmcc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mannanmcc » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi, did you receive British passport for your little daughter and how long did it took?. Please share if you can as I am also in the same journey.

Thanks!