ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Planning to go to UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gps

Planning to go to UK

Post by gps » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:27 am

I am coming to UK during Jan 3rd week for job hunt. I have around 10+ years of Oracle Technology Experience, out of that last 7 years in Oracle Applications. I worked around 6 years in US too and currently in big IT company in India.
First I am planning to come to UK alone and find a job. After getting job I will come back to India and take my family with me. After landing in UK I will get UK phone number and update my resume with the new phone
number and my friend's address the start job hunt.

1) Can any one give me some idea how to start job hunt in UK ?

2) Approx how much time it will take to get a job there ?

3) Some body suggested that I should open an HSBC bank a/c in India and transfer some fund there. how is that ?

4) If any one is planning to go to UK during Jan end, pl contact me and we can go together.

Regards
- Gyan
gyan_sharma@hotmail.com

Sher

Post by Sher » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:09 pm

You could try opening an account with PSU banks like SBI, BoB there in the UK. The addresses can be found on their websites. Maybe someone who has experience on this one can add his/her suggestion.

Also, take on an international credit card and an internet (third party funds transfer) capable savings a/c. This way u shld be able to pay most of yr bills in the UK and with internet capability, in turn to the card issuing bank.
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:15 pm

I worked around 6 years in US too and currently in big IT company in India. <== why don't you request them to send you to UK on an assignment instead???

taikoo
Newly Registered

Post by taikoo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:43 am

Hi Olisun,

Your suggestion on requesting employer to send you on assignment is good. But is not so simple. I would like to explain the reality, from my personal experience. I work for an MNC company and I have applied for a number of suitable positions both in UK and in the US, but was unsuccessful, despite good credentials. Because there will be a number of internal politics that may go against you. I am not generalising that all those try will be unsuccessful. But that is a fact of life.

Probably, that was one of the reason, whether you call it frustration or not, why I applied for HSMP.

Taikoo...