ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exemption from KoLL

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arbi580
Newly Registered

Exemption from KoLL

Post by arbi580 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi there

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction here. I am doing my mums Naturalization applicaiton.

She is 62 yrs old. She meets the residency requirements. She has had ILR for the last 6 years. Her husband (my Dad) is a Naturalized British Citizen. He has Cancer. My mother is a housewife and cares for my Dad.

My mother never went to school and as such has had no formal education. She does not speak English. Efforts over the last few years to teach her English have not yielded any results. She has cognitive impairment / depression. This has been assessed by a consultant psychiatrist and her GP also. That said due to her depression and general nature (stigma of being labelled a mental patient) she has not been keen on being seen by mental health professionals despite our best efforts to get her to do so. As such there are no detailed records of her mental illness, save a two week hospital stay 10 years ago for sever depression, prescriptions for anti depressants, the report from the consultant psychiatrist and her GP.

Her GP has completed the Exemption form and stated that in her opinion my mother cannot meet the KoLL requirement and that she does not think that my mothers condition will improve at any point in the future.

Please can someone assist with the following questions:

1) Did you or any one you know apply for Naturalzation while claiming exemption on the basis of mental or long term illness? Could you share your experience.

2) What documents did you submit? Is a completed exemption form sufficient evidence or would I need to submit additional paperwork to ensure a successfull applicaiton?

3) What other documents are needed? My mother is a Housewife. Never worked in a job. Do I just need to submit the following with her applicaiton or is there anything else:

i) Her Passport covering last 5 years
ii) Her Biometric Residence Permit
iii) Exemption Letter from GP

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

Best regards
Arbi580

trilobite1981
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Exemption from KoLL

Post by trilobite1981 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Didnt she has to pass KoLL when she got her ILR?

Probably you are already aware that she doesn't have to prove anything if she submit her application after her 65th birthday.

arbi580
Newly Registered

Post by arbi580 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 am

trilobite1981 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 pm
Didnt she has to pass KoLL when she got her ILR?

Probably you are already aware that she doesn't have to prove anything if she submit her application after her 65th birthday.
No, there was no requirement for KoLL when we applied for her ILR in 2011. Yes I am aware that the requirement of KoLL is waived after age 65.

arbi580
Newly Registered

Post by arbi580 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi

This is just an update to my previous query. I applied for my Mom and her case got approved today. I am answering my own questions as I did not get concrete responses on the forum.

1) Did you or any one you know apply for Naturalzation while claiming exemption on the basis of mental or long term illness? Could you share your experience.

My mum is 62 Years old and had been on ILR for 6 years at application. Prior to ILR she had been on Visit to UK every now and then. As such we had to use the ILR period to meet the 5 year residency rule. We applied via the Online NDRS option. The online applicaiton is much quicker than the Paper route though NDRS is an inferior service to NCS. My mum has a mental condition which makes learning hard for her. We timed her application to happen after her 62nd birthday so that she was 3 years shy of 65 when you are fully exempt from KoLL requirements.

2) What documents did you submit?

Passport Copy for ID and to prove continuos Residence over the last 6 years, BRP Copy, Spouse passport copy, Original Completed exemption form from GP, No other medical or hospital documentation detailing her illness was needed. Completed exemption form from GP was sufficient.

3) What other documents are needed?

None. My mother is a Housewife. She never worked in a job. The above is all we sent.

Hope this helps. Please PM me if anyone needs any help in regards to KoLL Medical exemption queries.

Best regards to all

r33z
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mauritius

Post by r33z » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi can I ask you how long did it take for the home office to make a decision?

r33z
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mauritius

Post by r33z » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:31 pm

arbi580 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm
Hi

This is just an update to my previous query. I applied for my Mom and her case got approved today. I am answering my own questions as I did not get concrete responses on the forum.

My mum is 62 Years old and had been on ILR for 6 years at application. Prior to ILR she had been on Visit to UK every now and then. As such we had to use the ILR period to meet the 5 year residency rule. We applied via the Online NDRS option. The online applicaiton is much quicker than the Paper route though NDRS is an inferior service to NCS. My mum has a mental condition which makes learning hard for her. We timed her application to happen after her 62nd birthday so that she was 3 years shy of 65 when you are fully exempt from KoLL requirements.

2) What documents did you submit?

Passport Copy for ID and to prove continuos Residence over the last 6 years, BRP Copy, Spouse passport copy, Original Completed exemption form from GP, No other medical or hospital documentation detailing her illness was needed. Completed exemption form from GP was sufficient.

3) What other documents are needed?

None. My mother is a Housewife. She never worked in a job. The above is all we sent.

Hope this helps. Please PM me if anyone needs any help in regards to KoLL Medical exemption queries.

Best regards to all
Hi how are you? Do you roughly how long did they took to make a decision please.

arbi580
Newly Registered

Post by arbi580 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 am

Hi there

It took 7 weeks from Application payment and submission of documents to receipt of approval letter.

Best regards

r33z
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mauritius

Post by r33z » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:22 am

arbi580 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 am
Hi there

It took 7 weeks from Application payment and submission of documents to receipt of approval letter.

Best regards
Thank you. Did you went with the standard service or the super priority service? Sorry for asking a lot of question. Not much help on this forum lately as they are unaware about the waiver for the koll requirement

arbi580
Newly Registered

Post by arbi580 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am

There isnt any super priority service for Naturalization cases. Its only one kind of service and decisions can take up to 6 months

r33z
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mauritius

Post by r33z » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

arbi580 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am
There isnt any super priority service for Naturalization cases. Its only one kind of service and decisions can take up to 6 months
Thank you much appreciate for your time and reply. Have a good day and Take care.