ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ILR work in Ireland?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cellio9
Newly Registered

UK ILR work in Ireland?

Post by cellio9 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I was granted ILR in the UK in December 2017. British citizens have the right to work and live in Ireland. Do ILR holders enjoy the same privilege?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK ILR work in Ireland?

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm

No they do not.

You can work in Northern Ireland but not in the Republic of Ireland.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: UK ILR work in Ireland?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Also, working in (the Republic of) Ireland will count as absence from the UK for the purpose of the British Nationality Act 1981.
Section 50 (Interpretation) of the British Nationality Act 1981 wrote:“the United Kingdom ” means Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Islands, taken together;
“the Islands ” means the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man;
That may have implications for any future British citizenship applications and may also cause the ILR to lapse if the absence exceeds two years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.