ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Salasala
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Right of abode

Post by Salasala » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Hello everyone
I need help on getting some more explaination on "right of abode " I am very struggling to understand the meaning of it, and how to apply .I am helping a friend of mine
My friend on her way back from home , the UK immigration took her resident permit card and tell her to apply for right of abode. She is british citizen since 2014, that's why she was able to keep her card

Ffmuni
Germany

Re: Right of abode

Post by Ffmuni » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi, you state your friend has UK Citizenship, but she has no UK Passport? so I presume she has been travelling on another passport since attaining Citizenship.

As I understand it for some time a successful applicant for British Citizenship must return their residence card on attaining Citizenship. Some people on here have reported their PRC being retained, by UK border staff, on entry into UK which they have continued to use after getting Citizenship.

From UKVI website
"All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK.
You can prove you have right of abode if you have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with right of abode.
Otherwise you need to apply for a ‘certificate of entitlement’.
Certificate of entitlement - (right of abode) £388"

The passport route seems the cheapest option.

Read through this posting it has lots of information.
british-citizenship/ilr-brp-impounded-a ... 44230.html

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 pm

If your friend had an ILR BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) card issued under the UK Immigration Rules, it lost its validity when she acquired British citizenship.

As a British citizen, she has the Right of Abode in the UK. She can prove that by either having a British passport OR (if for some reason she is reluctant to have a British passport) a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode (CoE-RoA), which will be stuck in her non-British passport. A CoE-RoA is only valid for the lifetime of the non-British passport, so it may be worth her renewing her non-British passport if she is going down that route.

As Ffmuni has mentioned, it is cheaper for her to apply for a British passport. The CoE-RoA is an option for some countries that do not permit their citizens to hold the passport of another country.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Salasala
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Salasala » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:59 am

Thank you very very much for the reply. She do have british passport as well , but she prefer to have right of abode. Can she apply the right of abode and keep her passport at the same time?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 am

No.
Prove you have right of abode in the UK wrote:All British citizens automatically have the right of abode in the UK.
However, a British citizen may use either a British passport or a CoE-RoA (but not both at the same time, under 6(b)) to demonstrate this right.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Salasala
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Salasala » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks all for the reply
So as soon as she apply for right of adobe her passport will be cancel?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am

My guess is that they cannot issue the CoE-RoA without the British passport being cancelled first.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.