ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing employers (Tier 2 General to Tier 2 General)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sailaliu
Newly Registered
Canada

Changing employers (Tier 2 General to Tier 2 General)

Post by sailaliu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I currently hold a Tier 2 General visa and have received an offer from another employer that is willing to sponsor me. I have received the CoS and am ready to start the application process to get a new Tier 2 General visa (under a different employer).

However, I cannot seem to be able to apply for a new/different Tier 2 General visa from within the UK. Could someone please confirm if I really need to be abroad to apply for the visa?

When going to the "apply" page on the UK government visa website, the only option is to apply from outside the UK. The only options to apply from within the UK are either to "extend" or to "switch," which I don't think fit exactly what I am doing.

Has anyone recently switched form a TIer 2 (G) to Tier 2 (G) under different employers? Please advise. Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Changing employers (Tier 2 General to Tier 2 General)

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm

However, I cannot seem to be able to apply for a new/different Tier 2 General visa from within the UK. Could someone please confirm if I really need to be abroad to apply for the visa?
No you do not have to leave the UK to apply.
When going to the "apply" page on the UK government visa website, the only option is to apply from outside the UK. The only options to apply from within the UK are either to "extend" or to "switch," which I don't think fit exactly what I am doing.

You apply for an extension but with a new sponsor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sailaliu
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sailaliu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

Just to clarify - even though I am not really "extending" my visa (I've only been in the UK with my current Tier 2 General visa for one year - still got two more years on my current visa), "extension" would be where I fill out the application?

Here is what the extension page says (https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/extend-your-visa):

If you change your job
You may need to make a new Tier 2 (General) visa application if:

you want to change your job and your new job is with a different employer
your job changes to a different standard occupation classification (SOC) code, and you’re not in a graduate training programme
you leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that isn’t on the list

So in this scenario, the new visa application would mean an extension application?

Thanks!

sailaliu
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sailaliu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 pm

But according to the extension page (https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/extend-your-visa), it doesn't seem like I am eligible for extension because I am no longer having the same job nor am I working for the same employer who assigned me my current CoS.

Eligibility
You must have current permission to enter or stay on a Tier 2 (General) visa.

You must also meet the following conditions:

you have the same job as when you were issued your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK
you’re still working for the employer who assigned your certificate of sponsorship
you’re still earning an ‘appropriate salary’ - read the guidance if you’re not sure

rodvmu

Post by rodvmu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm no expert, just trying to help based on my previous experiences. As far as I know, there's no such thing as "extend tier 2 with different employer". Basically, you have to apply for a new visa entirely. You will pay the same fees, fill the application form again, etc etc (I've done this 4 times).

The only difference is that your employer can issue an unrestricted CoS, in other words, since you're already in the U.K. you're not subject to any monthly caps.

But the process itself is the same, except that you don't have to leave the U.K. You apply, pay the fees, get a new BRP, etc etc.

limali
United Kingdom

Post by limali » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:00 am

sailaliu can you give us an update. I am in similar situation now.

hemant08
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by hemant08 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:10 pm

could you give us an update what you did in the end , as far as I can understand you cannot apply for fresh tier2 while staying in the UK you can only apply for extension

mhib
New Zealand

Post by mhib » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 am

All,

I have an application to change employer in at the moment. The way to apply is to use the extension link as specified by CR001. It is as stated in your message used for changing employers, as well. The name is deceiving and I had to check twice with my new employer and it was confirmed this is the way to do it.

Note that you will have to pay the full application fees, NHS surcharges etc. for the length of your application, I hence, do suggest that you might as well apply for the full 3 years you are allowed (will take you to 4 meaning you will still have to do it again to reach the 5 years for ILR).

Also note, that despite what the site says when you open it, you do not need to include your dependants in the application. Their current visa will remain valid (but will not extend automatically to match yours if you did extend and change the date). The first page in the application form does say that they must be included but the regulations clearly state that they do not need to. This was confirmed to me by HO by email.

Also, if you have a 3 months notice in your current role, note that the start date in the new job will have to be a maximum of 1 month from the CoS start date, or the date the new visa is issued (whichever is later, just in case of delays), and the visa takes up to 2 months to be issued.

I hope this helps....

hustlerr
Newly Registered
India

Post by hustlerr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am

Hello mhib
Thanks for your valuable input.

I am considering a change of tier 2 employer and would be grateful if you could offer your inputs on:

1. UCOS duration-> What was the time duration to receive UCOS in your case?

2. New tier visa duration : Did you opt for priority or super priority service, since you mentioned the visa takes up to 2 months to be issued.

Thanks for any help.

mhib
New Zealand

Post by mhib » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi,

1. My UCoS was for less than 2 years as this will take me to the maximum 6 years allowed. I am eligible for ILR in few months time.
2. I applied through the normal route (none-priority) hence why it takes 8 weeks. However, I have read around the forum that some people who have applied by priority have also been pushed back to none priority and had delays.

hustlerr
Newly Registered
India

Post by hustlerr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello mhib
Thanks for your valuable inputs.

UCOS ->
I read on the forum that it may take a few days to 3-4 weeks sometimes for new UCOS number to be issued by a new employer? Any idea about this timeline?

Good luck with your ILR, waiting for another success story.

thelauram
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by thelauram » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

I'm also currently switching employers (from Tier 2 general to another Tier 2 general). My employer does not seem to know what the process is, however I do have a CoS. As I understand it, if I am applying in the UK, I apply as an extension (it doesn't seem that a new visa is possible to do whilst in the UK), even though the rules say that you need to have the same CoS as previously, is that correct? I have not yet started the application, is there somewhere where you specify that it is a 'change of employment?' Thanks!