ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA student naturalisation and CSI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wasserman75
Newly Registered
European Union

EEA student naturalisation and CSI

Post by wasserman75 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi,
Can anyone help with my case.My wife is about to apply for UK naturalisation.She is EEA citizen , and obtained PR in 2016 as a dependent(after being UK resident for 5 years), so CSI was not required.She has been a student in UK for the last 6 years ,just started business as self employed in the last 12 months.She is eligible for UK naturalisation as she got her PR 2 years ago.My only concern is the sickness insurance.Do you think they will request it?What kind of evidence for UK residence she need to present?Letter from the university?I am naturalised UK citizen if that is going to help in any way.
Many thanks

Ffmuni
Germany

Re: EEA student naturalisation and CSI

Post by Ffmuni » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Are you saying your wife applied for and received a Permanent Residence Card, PRC.

If she is in possession of a permanent residence card or Indefinite Leave to Remain and fulfills the criteria for UK citizenship then she can apply. Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) is not one of the criteria applied for citizenship.

CSI would have been a requirement, as I understand it, if she was classed as a self sufficient person in the UK exercising Treaty Rights and applying for a PRC.

I do not understand, if she is an EEA citizen, why you say she achieved PR as a dependent, as an EEA citizen she could have achieved it in her own right?

If she has permanent residence ( you say she got it 2 years ago) then she can apply for UK citizenship.

The following is taken from the UKVI website.

As a spouse of a UK citizen she can apply if:-
“You are 18 or over
are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen
have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application
You must also:
prove you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application”

“You’re from the European Economic Area (EEA)
You must have one of the following:

a permanent residence card to prove you have permanent residence status
indefinite leave to remain in the UK
indefinite leave to enter the UK”

Just my thoughts, having recently applied as a spouse of a UK citizen.

wasserman75
Newly Registered
European Union

Re: EEA student naturalisation and CSI

Post by wasserman75 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am

Many thanks for the quick reply.We decided to go for PRCs for the whole family to avoid the CSI problem as i am employed.My worry is one of the requirements for naturalisation you have to be lawfull resident and that means CSI for students,but they dont specify it.So i hope with letter from the uni with can apply.