ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply from UK or Aus ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

midget
Newly Registered

Apply from UK or Aus ?

Post by midget » Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 am

My boyfriend has a HSMP visa due to expire in August 08. We had been living in the UK up until January 08 when we had to return home to sort out some matters. He wants to apply for an extension and from what we have read he needs to apply under the Tier 1 scheme, but do we apply from Aus or should we return to the UK before his visa runs out and apply from there ?

Thanks
Midget

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Wed May 14, 2008 7:02 am

Between now and summer when they are going to change to Tier 1 in the rest of the world you can apply for HSMP (At present Tier 1 is active and HSMP discontinued in Europe and India only).

Applying for Tier 1 from the UK might be the best option.

But before you make the decision please check the current HSMP and Tier 1 rules and check them with his present status to find which one would be most suitable for him.

Please study the HSMP and Tier 1 guidance forms and Transitional Requirements and then crosscheck them with his present earnings and maintenance funds. It wont take long and you will never regret it. Otherwise you might base your decision on wrong info and come up with the wrong conclusion.

Regards
All the best

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Wed May 14, 2008 8:32 am

Aplogoy for hacking this thread.

Hi,

GISM, you quoted HSMP being discontinued in Europe? Where have you heard it? I was planning to apply under HSMP from Europe.

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Apply from UK or Aus ?

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Never heard of a case where an extension was applied for (and granted) from outside the UK. As far as I know, you can only apply for Entry Clearance (EC) from outside the UK, not an extension (Further Leave to Remain).

Remember the promise to make UK your home made at the time of HSMP application :wink:

regards
midget wrote:My boyfriend has a HSMP visa due to expire in August 08. We had been living in the UK up until January 08 when we had to return home to sort out some matters. He wants to apply for an extension and from what we have read he needs to apply under the Tier 1 scheme, but do we apply from Aus or should we return to the UK before his visa runs out and apply from there ?

Thanks
Midget

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 14, 2008 2:53 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/hsmp/
Mentioned on the above webpage - The HSMP will undergo a phased closure in 2008. As part of this process, initial HSMP applications should only be made by people outside the United Kingdom. From 1 April 2008 applicants in India should not apply under the HSMP. If you are in a country other than India, you will be able to make an application to the HSMP up to the date on which we close HSMP completely and replace it with Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system. This will be in the next few months.

UK: HSMP closed and Tier 1 introduced on 29-Feb
India: HSMP closed and Tier 1 introduced on 01-Apr

regards
rajesh9pl wrote:Aplogoy for hacking this thread.

Hi,

GISM, you quoted HSMP being discontinued in Europe? Where have you heard it? I was planning to apply under HSMP from Europe.

Thanks.

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 am

sorry rajesh9pl, I meant UK
HSMP has been discontinued in UK and India.
my apologies

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 pm

No problem! :)