ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Definition of 'sponsor' in EEA FP form

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pauline_al
Newly Registered
Spain

Definition of 'sponsor' in EEA FP form

Post by pauline_al » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if someone could kindly help me and my husband with some questions we have come across while filling in the online application for an EEA Family Permit?

A brief background: I am a non-EEA national married to a Spanish EEA national. We have been married for 4 years, and I have been a legal Spanish resident since 2010. Our plan is pretty straightforward: to apply for EEA FP to grant an entry for me, travel together to the UK, for my husband to exercise his Treaty rights and to settle down there.

Q1. What exactly is meant by 'sponsor' in 'Are you being sponsored by a person' question? I am uncertain whether, given our situation, I even have a sponsor. Is 'sponsor' used in:
  • legal context, as in 'my EEA-national husband who is going to exercise Treaty rights in the UK, and consequently transfers me the theoretical right of residence in the UK, as long as he stays there and is considered a qualified person'?
or
  • financial context, as in 'my EEA-national husband, who supports me (and my application) financially?
I mean, if I state that I am unemployed, and answer that both my husband and I are going to cover the costs of our trip to the UK, should I still mention my husband as my sponsor?

Q2. I am currently unemployed but I am not financially dependent on my husband. Even so, in order to get the best chance of getting an EEA FP, what is the best answer when asked 'What is your current working status?'? Is there any substantial difference in answering with 'Unemployed' over 'Supported by Spouse/Partner', and vice versa?

Could anyone help out, please?

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Definition of 'sponsor' in EEA FP form

Post by obormot » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am

It is “legal” sense. They do not care how much you or he earn. He is your sponsor in that the one and only reason they vouls allow you to li e in UK is him and his activities, no matter what you do before or after going to UK.
You only need to show that he is EU citizen and that you two are in genuine marriage.
It does not matter what you put for costs of travel, your occupation, etc.

By the way, just curious: I thought if you are married to a Spaniard you can apply fo Spanish citizenship after 1 year of living in Spain (contrary to 10 years for general case). Am I right?
But I guess there might be an issue of haveing to renounce Russian passport..

pauline_al
Newly Registered
Spain

Re: Definition of 'sponsor' in EEA FP form

Post by pauline_al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 am

Once again, thanks for answering, obormot!
obormot wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am
[.. ] if you are married to a Spaniard you can apply for fo Spanish citizenship after 1 year of living in Spain (contrary to 10 years for the general case). Am I right?
You are!
There are various ways to obtain Spanish citizenship (by origin or birth, by option procedure, marriage, residence, naturalization).
But if we stick solely to nacionalidad por residencia (citizenship on grounds of residence), one is eligible to apply after having been residing here legally for 10 'continuous' years prior to the application.
There are exemptions for this 10-year requirement:
- 5 years of legal residence in case of refugees;
- 2 years for the nationals of Ibero-American States, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal, or those of Sephardi origin*.
- 1 year for a number of other cases, including marriage to a Spanish national.
*There is an additional Act that offers citizenship to the descendants of expelled (in 1492!) Sephardic Jews, while suppressing the requirement of preceding residence in Spain if applicants can prove special connections to the country and pass language and history tests - this Act came into effect in October 2015, was originally set to expire in October 2018 and has been extended by 1 year until October 2019).
obormot wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am
But I guess there might be an issue of having to renounce Russian passport...
The obtention of the Spanish nationality, indeed, supposes renouncing my Russian one, as only the nationals of the already mentioned Ibero-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal + Sephardic people are allowed to maintain their original nationality.

I have already applied for Spanish citizenship, but the turnaround is pitifully lengthy: something that should have taken up no more than a year (according to the existing legislation) is taking almost 3 already!

Unfortunately, my case is within the norm: an already-burdened system that relies mostly on fees from applicants is clogged; this is how it is, and not much can be done about it. /Sigh/ Well... going to the UK, maybe! If they let me:) /fingers crossed/