ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

academic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Naturalisation Application

Post by academic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Good day,

I have decided to apply for Naturalisation (Form AN) and would like to ensure that I understand the requirements and supporting documents correctly. I am a national of an EEA country who was in full-time education since coming to the UK in 2006. Our family has received the Permanent Residence (PR) blue booklet in 2011. I am trying to apply on the following basis:

If you are NOT married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981)

Requirements
  • Over 18? Yes
  • Of sound mind? Yes
  • Intend to continue living in the UK? Yes
  • Can communicate in English? Yes, UK BSc university degree
  • Have sufficient knowledge about the Life in the UK? Yes, got the pass certificate
  • Are of good character? Yes, had no problems with the law and all duties fulfilled
  • Have lived in the UK for a minimum of 5 years before applying? Yes, since 2006
  • Residence qualifying period? Yes, was in full-time education between 2006-2018. I did not leave UK for longer than 20 days each year for holidays.
  • National of EEA? Yes
Documents for Evidence
  • Evidence of Identity: EEA Passport, used it for the Life in UK test
  • Knowledge of Language: BSc Degree from a UK university & Life in the UK pass certificate
  • Evidence of PR: Blue PR card (it consists of 3 pages and states: Document Certifying Permanent Residence on the vignette) It was given to me in 2011
  • Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 year period: I have a passport, but since it does not have stamps I can attach letters from education establishments to prove that I was here. I have 3 letters proving that I was in full time education 05/09/2011-18/07/2014, 20/09/2014-27/07/2017 and 18/09/2017-20/09/2018 respectively.
Questions which I have
  • The requirement: “You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.”. Do I have to prove that even if I have letter stating that I was in full-time education from 2011 to 2014? Will bank-statements help? I do not have any other documents because I have always lived with my parents and all bills are in their name
  • I was not employed since coming to the UK. My full-time studies have ended on 20/09/2018 but I will only graduate in late January 2019. Would I just write Unemployed as my occupation?
  • Sending just my UK academic degree is enough? I assume I do not need to include the degree transcript or the UK NARIC confirmation?
  • Are there any specific requirements to letters proving lawful residence? My letters just state that I was attending an educational establishment during the relevant period. All the letters have my address on them.
  • Since I already have PR, I do not need to have exercised EU treaty rights, such as Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), right?
  • Do I need Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) if I have PR? In my mind those two are same
  • Are full-time education summer breaks considered as being present in the UK?
  • Am I missing any type of evidence AND are they all correct/relevant to my case?
I plan to use NCS to send my application but I would like to double-check that my initial understanding is correct before I book an appointment.

Thank you for your time.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation Application

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

academic wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm
Good day,

I have decided to apply for Naturalisation (Form AN) and would like to ensure that I understand the requirements and supporting documents correctly. I am a national of an EEA country who was in full-time education since coming to the UK in 2006. Our family has received the Permanent Residence (PR) blue booklet in 2011. I am trying to apply on the following basis:

If you are NOT married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981)

Requirements
  • Over 18? Yes
  • Of sound mind? Yes
  • Intend to continue living in the UK? Yes
  • Can communicate in English? Yes, UK BSc university degree
  • Have sufficient knowledge about the Life in the UK? Yes, got the pass certificate
  • Are of good character? Yes, had no problems with the law and all duties fulfilled
  • Have lived in the UK for a minimum of 5 years before applying? Yes, since 2006
  • Residence qualifying period? Yes, was in full-time education between 2006-2018. I did not leave UK for longer than 20 days each year for holidays.
  • National of EEA? Yes
Documents for Evidence
  • Evidence of Identity: EEA Passport, used it for the Life in UK test
  • Knowledge of Language: BSc Degree from a UK university & Life in the UK pass certificate
  • Evidence of PR: Blue PR card (it consists of 3 pages and states: Document Certifying Permanent Residence on the vignette) It was given to me in 2011
  • Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 year period: I have a passport, but since it does not have stamps I can attach letters from education establishments to prove that I was here. I have 3 letters proving that I was in full time education 05/09/2011-18/07/2014, 20/09/2014-27/07/2017 and 18/09/2017-20/09/2018 respectively.
Questions which I have
  • The requirement: “You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.”. Do I have to prove that even if I have letter stating that I was in full-time education from 2011 to 2014? Will bank-statements help? I do not have any other documents because I have always lived with my parents and all bills are in their name You don't specifically need to prove that date, however, by inputting your proof of residence and absences from the UK you will prove it.
  • I was not employed since coming to the UK. My full-time studies have ended on 20/09/2018 but I will only graduate in late January 2019. Would I just write Unemployed as my occupation? Yes
  • Sending just my UK academic degree is enough? I assume I do not need to include the degree transcript or the UK NARIC confirmation? Yes, I believe so.
  • Are there any specific requirements to letters proving lawful residence? My letters just state that I was attending an educational establishment during the relevant period. All the letters have my address on them. Those are sufficient.
  • Since I already have PR, I do not need to have exercised EU treaty rights, such as Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), right?once you have PR you are free from immigration restrictions, therefore CSI post-PR not required.
  • Do I need Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) if I have PR? In my mind those two are same You are correct the two are the same, but ILR is obtained under UK immigration rules, PR under EU regulations.
  • Are full-time education summer breaks considered as being present in the UK? If you were in the UK yes, if you were away then you need to list those period, there is no exceptions for work or study, within the guidelines.
  • Am I missing any type of evidence AND are they all correct/relevant to my case? I think you have covered it unless anyone else has any observations.
I plan to use NCS to send my application but I would like to double-check that my initial understanding is correct before I book an appointment. That's a good approach - good luck.

Thank you for your time.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.