ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Professional referee - Trade Union rep

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Registr123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Professional referee - Trade Union rep

Post by Registr123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello,

I have a question regrading "Trade Union Officer" term. Could a Trade Union representative at my workplace act as acceptable professional referee (being Shop Steward and H&S representative)? The person is having this position on a voluntary part time basis and has another job title in the company.

Cheers!

Ffmuni
Germany

Re: Professional referee - Trade Union rep

Post by Ffmuni » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:48 am

I’ve looked to see what the 1992 Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act says and it is not clear to me what the answer to your question is. However ACAS have a guide and in that guide at page 3 it has a section Terminology.
It would appear from this para that ACAS clarify ‘trade union officer’ as a paid employee of the Union. Sorry to not be more help.
Have you asked your Union to clarify the legal definition and status of the person you refer to? They will have recourse to legal advice if not inhouse solicitors, but looks likely the answer is he/she is not ‘a Trade Union Officer’

Just a suggestion but I’d be re-checking the list of acceptable referees and be looking eleswhere?

http://m.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/k/k/Trad ... kplace.pdf

“Terminology
There are a variety of different terms used to describe a union representative. In law the term most often used is ‘trade union official’ but this can easily be confused with an official who is an employee of the union, otherwise known as a ‘trade union officer’ whereas ‘lay union officials’ are elected or appointed to represent members in a given workplace or location“

This is just my opinion, I’ve no legal training.