ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - questions for son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jcbnp
Newly Registered
India

British Citizenship - questions for son

Post by jcbnp » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:36 am

My son applied with me through JCAP and NDRS online and he received his British passport . We both have held our ILR for 4 years now.

He dint have to attend a ceremony, mine is scheduled for next month he should be receiving his naturalisation certificate along with me I hope. He held an Indian passport before and was born in India.

When he turns 18 he has the option of getting either of the nationalities. But for now, since India doesn't have dual nationality and only give OCI, he only has British citizenship.

1.My question is that, since he naturalised through MN1 application sent along with my application, is it possible for him to retain his ILR card for proof of his naturalisation in the future for renewal in 5 years time and again when he turns 18, it is expiring in few months on the card anyways.

2. He is naturalised along with me, so do I have to return my ILR card after the citizenship ceremony as it serves as proof for my son's valid citizenship.

3. Would I be liable to pay £1000 since its been more than a week since he received his passport and I am trying to find these queries but to avail. (I feel my dilemma is reasonable for a parent and hope its taken into consideration)

4. Is there a phone or email I could send with this query to HO.

Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship - questions for son

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:59 pm

He has lost his Indian citizenship. The bit about choosing at age 18 is relevant to children who are born to a British parent and an Indian parent and is automatically both nationalities.

You have chosen and made a willful application to register your son, so he won't have a choice.

You must return the brp cards. It is no longer valid to travel as ILR status is superceded when British citizenship is granted. You also won't be able to renew his ILR card either.

Your brp card doesn't confer anything to do with citizenship to your son as your son is not UK born. ILR proof is only relevant to UK born children who were born before parents got ILR. His registration certificate is his proof of British citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.