ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) Renewal

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NS1990
Newly Registered
Australia

FLR(M) Renewal

Post by NS1990 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:02 pm

G'day guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I came to the UK on a Tier 5 YMS and then married my wife here & got my first FLR(M) visa 23/6/16. Since I got it in the UK i thought it would only be valid for 30 months, so expiry 23/12/18. However, my BRP shows an expiry of 23/01/19. So my question is, do i apply 28 days before the 30th month anniversary (so apply around the end of this month) or, do I apply 28 days before expiry (around Christmas time)?

Im not sure why I have a BRP for just under 31 months.

Any help would be great! Cheers.

vinny

Re: FLR(M) Renewal

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Extend after 30 months anniversary and before leave expires.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

NS1990
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by NS1990 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Ill apply sometime towards the end of December then I think.

Would you happen to have any idea why my visa was granted for 31 months? Is it normal for HO to make mistakes in dates, or was I just lucky?

Cheers.

joshd
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by joshd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:56 pm

NS1990 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Thanks for getting back to me. Ill apply sometime towards the end of December then I think.

Would you happen to have any idea why my visa was granted for 31 months? Is it normal for HO to make mistakes in dates, or was I just lucky?

Cheers.
Gudday :)

The HO probably make mistakes with dates all the time... I am not sure how they work out the exact expiry date for BRP, but the one I sent them with my current application has/had an expiry date of Christmas Eve, which is not fantastic when you have a wife and 3 kids to think about (all have Brit passports themselves).

Currently I'm planning on spending Christmas on my own in Dublin as the HO still have not approved my 2nd FLR(M) renewal after 6 weeks now as I submitted the application by post on 5th of October...

If I were you I would get the application in 8 weeks before the expiry date on your BRP and do it online if possible as it would seem they deal with these a bit quicker.

And start the process before the NHS surcharge is doubled from £200 for every year of your visa, otherwise you will need to find an extra £500 to go with the £1033 fee itself, see here for more info:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/incr ... a-funding

Get on to it ASAP mate and look out for them slippery onions when next your local Bunnings! :wink:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm

NS1990 wrote:

Cheers.
It is normal and they frequently grant 2.5 years plus 28 day visas. No error.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm

A lot people even got 33 months which isn't an error.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 am

seagul wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm
A lot people even got 33 months which isn't an error.
The OP was referring to the extension visa duration!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am

NS1990 wrote:

Cheers.
They have discretion to add extra days. Some do, some don't.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

NS1990
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by NS1990 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 am

joshd wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:56 pm
NS1990 wrote:

Cheers.
Gudday :)

The HO probably make mistakes with dates all the time... I am not sure how they work out the exact expiry date for BRP, but the one I sent them with my current application has/had an expiry date of Christmas Eve, which is not fantastic when you have a wife and 3 kids to think about (all have Brit passports themselves).

Currently I'm planning on spending Christmas on my own in Dublin as the HO still have not approved my 2nd FLR(M) renewal after 6 weeks now as I submitted the application by post on 5th of October...

If I were you I would get the application in 8 weeks before the expiry date on your BRP and do it online if possible as it would seem they deal with these a bit quicker.

And start the process before the NHS surcharge is doubled from £200 for every year of your visa, otherwise you will need to find an extra £500 to go with the £1033 fee itself, see here for more info:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/incr ... a-funding

Get on to it ASAP mate and look out for them slippery onions when next your local Bunnings! :wink:
Ah mate its a nightmare isnt it! Especially with all the changes being made, I don't even know if I will have to post it or do it online at this stage. Hope your stuff gets back to you before Christmas!

I could go with a snag from Bunnings at the moment with all this stress :shock:

joshd
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by joshd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm

You should get your application started in early December before they double the NHS surcharge otherwise you'll end up having to pay an extra £500 for this, but keep in mind when you would be eligible for ILR under the 5 year route otherwise you may end up in a situation like me, where you have to apply for a 2nd FLR(M) extension just to cover the last 6 months until 5 year anniversary!

What's worse with my case is that back when my British wife and I married in 2009 I had ILR and so probably could of applied for British citizenship immediately after getting married, however I didn't and then we moved out to NZ for a few years so my ILR lapsed ... :|
Then on our return to the UK we didn't leave NZ within the first 3 months my entry visa was granted, so have ended up having to apply for a 2nd FLR(M).

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Don’t forget the A2 English language requirements for an extension.

mbist

Post by mbist » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:39 pm

joshd wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm
You should get your application started in early December before they double the NHS surcharge otherwise you'll end up having to pay an extra £500 for this, but keep in mind when you would be eligible for ILR under the 5 year route otherwise you may end up in a situation like me, where you have to apply for a 2nd FLR(M) extension just to cover the last 6 months until 5 year anniversary!

What's worse with my case is that back when my British wife and I married in 2009 I had ILR and so probably could of applied for British citizenship immediately after getting married, however I didn't and then we moved out to NZ for a few years so my ILR lapsed ... :|
Then on our return to the UK we didn't leave NZ within the first 3 months my entry visa was granted, so have ended up having to apply for a 2nd FLR(M).
Hi joshd,

Is it okay to apply say around 15-20 days before applicant completes 30 months in the UK? The form says:

We encourage you to apply no more than 28 days before the expiry date, or no more than 28 days before you have completed 30 months in the UK with leave as a partner. Extant leave as a partner of up to 28 days will be added to the 30 months of leave that you are granted.

Sounds like it’s okay to apply 28 days before completing 30 months and there will be no issue of shortfall in no. of days when applying for ILR later because they will add those extra days in the visa.

Kindly let me know, if you are sure.

Thanks so much.

joshd
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by joshd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 pm

I am not sure sorry, but 28 days is of course only 4 weeks and the HO currently operate on an up to 8 week waiting/operating period, and going by my experience in having FLR renewals done it takes at least 6 weeks... just today did I finally receive official word back from the HO after 7 weeks that my 2nd FLR(M) has been approved :!:

So, maybe get your calendar out and do a count back to when you think the latest date you can wait for is, and possibly push it as late as you can, but keep in mind the extra £500 you will have to pay for the NHS surcharge sometime NEXT month.

Otherwise, maybe all the Brexit negotiations and BS gets sorted within the next 30 months, and by the time you've done your 5 years on FLR you will be able to remain in the UK on other grounds, such as the UK invaded your home country back in 1788, or that because so many THOUSANDS Australians (and a few NZers) died in Europe in both WW1 and its sequel that you and your country folk should be allowed to stay and live in the UK !

I know this argument applies for many other ex British colonies, and I have sympathy for all those who are from countries of the "commonwealth" who are in the UK and subject to the current immigration rules and laws that now PM Theresa May setup only a few years ago when she was the Secretary of the Home Office.

rant over! (for now) :roll: