ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accommodation arrangements ahead of visit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sp3ctre

Accommodation arrangements ahead of visit

Post by sp3ctre » Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 pm

My gf is coming from abroad to study at uni (she has already been accepted by a UK uni). She would prefer as far as getting the visa is concerned not to mention me, as she is scared they will think her student visa is dodgy.

What she thought she would do is apply for student accommodation and just lost the deposit when she gets here, but it looks like a lot of uni's want a full term up front.

Do private landlords usually want much in advance? Any advice as to the best way forward, without losing too much money, as she really would prefer to keep me out of the application?

Thanks

J

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Why can't you be her landlord! What is wrong with renting her a room in your accomodation - that is if you have the spare room. Not that she is actually going to live it it :lol:

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:Why can't you be her landlord! What is wrong with renting her a room in your accomodation - that is if you have the spare room. Not that she is actually going to live it it :lol:
I could... but she has come to visit me once before on a visitor visa. Her worry is that if they see that they will think she is only coming over to be with me.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 22, 2008 5:14 pm

If you can not readily be her landlord - friends / family at another address.

If she visited you before under what capacity did she do that. As girlfriend, friend, relative, pen pal.....

Have a look at this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/tmar ... heme.shtml

It is normal for a student to be in this type of accommodation.

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:If you can not readily be her landlord - friends / family at another address.

If she visited you before under what capacity did she do that. As girlfriend, friend, relative, pen pal.....

Have a look at this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/tmar ... heme.shtml

It is normal for a student to be in this type of accommodation.
She visited as a friend. Our relationship has since got a bit more serious, but she had planned to come over anyway.

The idea of the scheme is great, it's just whether the authorities believe this is all legit that is the issue. (it is... she's spending a hell of a lot on the course)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 22, 2008 5:24 pm

If you have the spare room - I would consider using that as her accomodation. Agree a rent that fits into the HMRC scheme and looks reasonable both in terms of how much charged and her budget.

What is wrong with a friend helping out in this way?

When you apply for spouse visa in a couple of years they will have a suspion on how she "paid" the rent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:If you have the spare room - I would consider using that as her accomodation. Agree a rent that fits into the HMRC scheme and looks reasonable both in terms of how much charged and her budget.

What is wrong with a friend helping out in this way?

When you apply for spouse visa in a couple of years they will have a suspion on how she "paid" the rent. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are correct, nothing is wrong with a friend helping like this. However, we just want the process to go as easily as possible. What happens if they do smell a rat?

Does anyone else have any experience of this situation? Am I being too paranoid about this?

Thanks for your replies.

J