ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sara245
Newly Registered
Pakistan

British citizenship query

Post by Sara245 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Hello all,
I received my ilr on the 29-11-2017.
Please tell me when can I exactly apply for citizenship?
Which process will be best to apply?
Online or paper?
Ndrs or ncs?
It says that ndrs cannot be applied after 30 November?
I would like to know the easiest procedure for applying for citizenship and passport.
Also how to apply for spouse n kids?
Separate forms or one for for all?
Thank you very much in advance. I am too confused about the whole procedure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

secret.simon

Re: British citizenship query

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Sara245 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 pm
I received my ilr on the 29-11-2017.
Please tell me when can I exactly apply for citizenship?
On or after 29th November 2018, provided you meet the absence and physical presence requirement on that date.
Sara245 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 pm
Also how to apply for spouse n kids?
Has spouse also got ILR?
Children depends on where they were born and how old they are.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

melhaj
Newly Registered

Post by melhaj » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm applying soon and I've been reading to understand the new service. This is what I understood and if I missed a point I ask others to correct me (I'm on ILR-for-the-last-12-months AKA Naturalisation rout):
  1. You start by filling the online form for Citizenship by naturalisation.
  2. You only submit on or after when it's exactly 12 months since you got your ILR making sure you were present in the UK 5 years back from that day.
  3. You'll then be asked to choose between the existing or new service. I'll go with the New Sopra Steria Service.
  4. You'll then be asked to select the Standard service and pay 1349.20 GBP. Apparently there is no premium service for naturalisation and the process takes up to 6 months.
  5. The fee includes £19.20 biometrics enrolment fee.
  6. After paying the full amount you'll be directed to Sopra Steria to make an appointment.
  7. I haven't done that but looks like there are different services provided by sopra steria such as Documentation Checking Service, Next Day Appointments.
  8. You then attend your appointment
  9. Go through identify and biometric check and submit all required evidences
  10. Then you leave with all evidences including travel document.
  11. After that you wait up to 6 months for a decision to be made.
  12. If your application is successful you'll have to attend a ceremony by arranging with your council
  13. You have the option of group or private ceremony (for an extra fee, check with your council)
  14. During the ceremony you make the oath of allegiance and pledge
  15. At the end you are presented with your certificate of British citizenship and a welcome pack (some councils even sell photographs or videos)
  16. The council then informs the HO you've attended the ceremony for the HMPO process to kick in.
* Now I'm not sure if Sopra Steria provide anymore support after you've submitted your evidences. It'll be good if someone could explain that.

Sara245
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara245 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I called my local council and was informed that the national checking service ncs is available till the 31 December 2018. I have decided to go through that process even though it will cost a bit more. I wanted to go through ndrs to get passport at the same time but that is ending on the 30 November and the council does not have any appointments remaining available for that.