ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I heard from Dept of Justice RE Naturalisation!!!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Guess-Any-Name

I heard from Dept of Justice RE Naturalisation!!!

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Fri May 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi - am just sharing my experience to check if anyone in this groupd has had similar experience?

I applied for LTR in Sep 2006 and Naturalisation in Nov 2006. I just had acknowledgment letters from DOJ nothing else till 2 weeks back.

2 weeks ago I was sent a post from DOJ asking to supply a long-form DOB cert or in absence of the same a sworn affidavit. I didn't have my DOB cert (my parents lost it as they never thought it would be essential for me when I grew up - funny isn't it) so with my original application I supplied the DOB cert that I obtained from my embassy in Ireland (they give you one for a small processing fee - basically they verify the DOB mentioned in passport).
Obviously DOJ didn't like it so they asked for long-form or affidavit.

I made the affidavit - got it sworn in front of a solicitor and sent back to DOJ. Within 2 days of sending it I got an acknowledgment from them.

However I have never heard back from anyone about my LTR status. As per the DOJ website my application for naturalisation shouldn't be picked up at all as I applied towards end of 2006.

I was speaking to a friend who is also in the queue for both LTR and nat. and he said that he heard from somewhere about DOJ installing a new multi-million euros computer system which will create a single point of entry for both LTR and naturalisation (nat.). That is, anyone asking for LTR will be checked for if an application for nat. is also made or not and if yes, the latter (nat.) will be picked up. I really do not know the validity of the information however this can explain my situation in a good way. That is, when they looked at my LTR application (which they can now as I applied in Sep 2006) they also tried to locate my nat. application and because there is one, they picked up the nat. application.

Personally I do not believe this whole-heartedly! Being the pessimist about almost any public service in this country I tend to believe that my application is now actually going to take longer because it was not "complete" in their eyes.

Anyway - let me hear back from the members what they think of my situation!

greentea

Post by greentea » Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 pm

the news about the intergration of system in immigration is likely. my friend who got a letter for DOJ recently. it told her that she was eligible to apply for LTR. but also told her that they queue is long... she has never applied for LTR.

Guess-Any-Name

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Fri May 23, 2008 8:12 pm

More interesting :shock: 'cause my letter from DOJ didn't touch on LTR :(

I think something's happening at DOJ - let's wait and see.

mendo

Post by mendo » Fri May 23, 2008 8:57 pm

It is very rare that the DOJ will ever accept a birth certificate, unless is one that was issued recently based on the "new format".
What I mean by the "new format" is the one similar with the one that the Irish are issuing for any newborn (it has the name of the parents and the maiden names of both grandmothers).
Of course that most of us won't have one like this, unless your country has adopted the new format that some time is even multilingual.

Most of the time DOJ will send you a "Birth Affidavit" form that has to be completed by you and signed by a solicitor and this will satisfy them.

What is even stranger is that I've seen an old Irish birth certificate (30 years old maybe) and not even the names of the parents are mentioned. The new one is based on an A4 page format and has loads of info on it.

Regarding the LTR, it looks that they've just started to process the applications from September 2006
________
GEORGIAN RECIPES
Last edited by mendo on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guess-Any-Name

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I applied in Sep 2006 I will let you all know if I hear from them. Going by other people's experience posted on this forum I think I will be asked for a police verification first. :shock:

Do they need it for every country I have lived to the time of making the application or only from the country of my birth? Anyone knows?

:?: