ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married on a Student Visa in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spark
- thin ice -

Getting married on a Student Visa in the UK

Post by Spark » Wed May 28, 2008 11:20 pm

I am a British citizen, my girlfriend is Japanese and is currently here as a student and were are considering getting married next year, we were intending to get married here and then possibly move to Japan for a while before looking at immigration to a possible 3rd country like Canada or the United States.

Would we have to notify the IBA or anybody else about our intentions next year or can we just get married and apply for my Japanese spouse visa, she will still be a legal student in the UK at that time and her immigration status should not need to change since we won't be living over here anyway.

Thanks in advance. :)
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 29, 2008 12:46 am

See link, you will need to apply for a COA before you get married.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visit ... fapproval/

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Thu May 29, 2008 12:52 am

Shit, I was afraid of that, how much is that gonna cost then ?

It might just be easier for us to get married in Japan then I think, thanks for your help mate :)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 29, 2008 1:05 am

£295 to apply for COA.
Just wait until you apply for the spouse visa then you see how much you love her :lol:

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 am

:lol:

Awww, she's worth it and fortunately I think we're gonna be heading over there in the short term anyway. :)