ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ILR related query for spouse

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alphakh1
Newly Registered

UK ILR related query for spouse

Post by alphakh1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi,
I got UK citizenship though naturalization. I was initially on work permit and then on tier 1 general during the 5 year work period. When I applied for ILR, I had tier 1 general. I got UK nationality around March 2014 after spending more than 1 year on ILR.

I married after I became UK national. My wife entered on her spouse visa in UK in November, 2014. She would be completing her 5 years on spouse visa in November, 2019. During this five year's time, I did receive child benefits for about two years. I stopped this since April 2018.
Could you please confirm whether my taking of child benefits would have any negative impact on my wife's ILR application in Nov, 2019?

Whenever I try to find out the eligibility criteria, the second question after https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... sh-citizen
is confusing me. It states
Did your family member or partner settle before they became a British citizen?
What should be the answer to this question for me? I think it should be 'yes' as I settled (got ILR) before becoming national.

Thanks,
Alpha Kh

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK ILR related query for spouse

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:41 pm

During this five year's time, I did receive child benefits for about two years. I stopped this since April 2018.
Could you please confirm whether my taking of child benefits would have any negative impact on my wife's ILR application in Nov, 2019?
No need to stop child benefits. As a British citizen, you are allowed to claim and it has no effect on your spouses visas as long as she is not claiming.

She applies for ILR on form SET(M), there is no other form to apply on if she came to the UK on a spouse visa AFTER you got ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.