ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite Leave to Remain / Extended Ancestry

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Indefinite Leave to Remain / Extended Ancestry

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi there,

I originally came to the UK in 2011 on a 5-year UK Ancestry visa. Before it expired, I applied to extend the UK Ancestry visa which was approved for a further 5 years (due to expire in 2021). I have been living in the UK consecutively for the past seven and a bit years. I have not spent more than 180 days outside the UK within a 12 month period since I arrived.

In retrospect, I should have applied for ILR after my initial five years was up, but chose not to because the Ancestry visa was so much cheaper than ILR.

Anyway, my question is whether I can apply for ILR now, or whether I have to wait until 2021 (when my current visa expires)?

And if I can apply now, do I only count absences outside the UK in the last five years, or for all my time here?

It would also be great to know whether there's a legal service who could help fill out application forms for ILR. I've been going around in circles all day trying to find information and support to no avail. I guess they make it hard for a reason ...

Any help appreciated,
Emelia

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain / Extended Ancestry

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Anyway, my question is whether I can apply for ILR now, or whether I have to wait until 2021 (when my current visa expires)?
You can apply now. No need to wait.
And if I can apply now, do I only count absences outside the UK in the last five years, or for all my time here?
Last 5 years yes.
It would also be great to know whether there's a legal service who could help fill out application forms for ILR. I've been going around in circles all day trying to find information and support to no avail. I guess they make it hard for a reason ...
No recommendations or details permitted to be posted on the forum. Really a very simple application compared to other routes and legal help not really required. See links below.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ancestry-vis ... 84361.html

general-uk-immigration-forum/uk-ancestr ... 51947.html

indefinite-leave-to-remain/cover-letter-t266109.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.