ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When is it too late for a EEA citizen to bring his dependent non-EEA mother to the UK?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mulder
Germany

When is it too late for a EEA citizen to bring his dependent non-EEA mother to the UK?

Post by mulder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Hello everyone!

I am a German citizen working in the UK and earning enough to support both me and my non-EEA mother (who is dependent on me).

Assuming she enters the UK before 29-Mar-2019, will she be able to apply for a UK residence card after 29-Mar-2019?

The reason I am asking is that I am somewhat confused about the transition period till December 2020.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: When is it too late for a EEA citizen to bring his dependent non-EEA mother to the UK?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Assuming you are exercising treaty rights or have PR already, you/mother can apply for a family permit to come to the UK - if you do this before 29.3.2019 it will be under EU regulations. After that she then has to register for pre-settled status (replace EU residence permit) under UK immigration law.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mulder
Germany

Re: When is it too late for a EEA citizen to bring his dependent non-EEA mother to the UK?

Post by mulder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

And what if she doesn't enter before 29-Mar-2019? Will the definition of a "family member" be revised? I mean a foreigner with enough funds can as good as always bring his spouse but will parents still be considered family members?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 pm

If you haven't already reviewed this: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

After 29.3. there is still the transition period where nothing much changes I understand - they won't issue EU branded paperwork anymore so go straight for pre-settled status.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.