ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for citizenship with dependent?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dheeraj1025
United Kingdom

Apply for citizenship with dependent?

Post by dheeraj1025 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:00 am

I got ILR in 20 March 2018, this means I can apply for citizenship on or after 20 March 2019, is that right. Is there a chance I can apply little early?

My wife is on tier 2 dependent visa and her visa is expiring on 12 March 2019.

Is there a way that I can apply for citizenship for me and my wife both before 12 the of march 2019.

She has been in UK for 4 years already, it would be easier to apply for citizenship with me rather than extending for 3 users just for the 8 days difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for citizenship with dependent?

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 am

1 got ILR in 20 March 2018, this means I can apply for citizenship on or after 20 March 2019, is that right. Is there a chance I can apply little early?
No, there is no 28 days early concession for citizenship. You must hold ILR for the full 12 months.
My wife is on tier 2 dependent visa and her visa is expiring on 12 March 2019.

Is there a way that I can apply for citizenship for me and my wife both before 12 the of march 2019.
No. She needs ILR before she can apply for citizenship. Unless you are British already when she gets ILR, she also has to wait 12 months on ILR.
She has been in UK for 4 years already, it would be easier to apply for citizenship with me rather than extending for 3 users just for the 8 days difference?
She needs ILR. There is no shortcut to citizenship without ILR. She needs 5 years residence in dependent visa before she can apply for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dheeraj1025
United Kingdom

Post by dheeraj1025 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks for the response.

So, once I got citizenship can I apply citizenship for my wife?

Or she needs to go through the whole process of applying for ILR and citizenship herself?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:29 pm

ILR is mandatory before she can apply for citizenship. There is no shortcut to avoid ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:21 pm

a) There are no dependent applications for naturalisation. Each application is an individual application and is decided without reference to any other application.

b) ILR is a requirement for all naturalisation applications, whether or not their spouse is a British citizen.

c) Provided you have become a British citizen (after the naturalisation ceremony, not the date of application or the date you receive the letter advising you that you were successful), your wife can apply for naturalisation immediately after she have acquired ILR. She does not need to wait for 12 months. But she does need ILR before applying for naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dheeraj1025
United Kingdom

Post by dheeraj1025 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks guys make sense.

Once last question, can she apply for ILR now, as I am in ILR and she is in tier 2 dependent for last 4 years?

Or she needs to be in tier 2 dependent visa for 5 years and the apply for ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Once last question, can she apply for ILR now, as I am in ILR and she is in tier 2 dependent for last 4 years?
No she cannot.
Or she needs to be in tier 2 dependent visa for 5 years and the apply for ILR?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)