ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renounce British citizenship living in NI

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mufc69

Renounce British citizenship living in NI

Post by mufc69 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello, I am a British/Irish citizen living in Northern Ireland, my wife is non EU living here under EEA/UK residence card due to expire later this year. I was not a qualified person for 5 years, as I left work last year to care for my daughter so I don’t believe we are eligible for permanent residence.

My question is if I renounce my British passport can I use my Irish passport to reapply for my wife’s residence card?

secret.simon

Re: Renounce British citizenship living in NI

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 am

Yes, if you renounce your British citizenship, you would become solely an Irish citizen from the date your renunciation certificate is issued and your wife would need to meet the requirements applicable to spouses of Irish citizens (at the moment, the same as those for EEA citizens).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mufc69

Re: Renounce British citizenship living in NI

Post by mufc69 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 am
Yes, if you renounce your British citizenship, you would become solely an Irish citizen from the date your renunciation certificate is issued and your wife would need to meet the requirements applicable to spouses of Irish citizens (at the moment, the same as those for EEA citizens).
Thank you for your reply 👍🏻