ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does the child born to be tier 2 parents need ILR or can directly apply for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ZGill
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Does the child born to be tier 2 parents need ILR or can directly apply for citizenship

Post by ZGill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi, I am currently on Tier 2 visa expiring in Aug 2019 when I would become eligible for ILR. I had a baby born on 5th October 2018. As there isn’t a lot of time left in ILR, I will only be applying for baby’s visa at the time of my ILR. However, my question is, can I get my ILR first and then directly apply for Child citizenship/registration instead of getting ILR for the baby first. Has anyone here done this before and been successful in their applications. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Does the child born to be tier 2 parents need ILR or can directly apply for citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm

can I get my ILR first and then directly apply for Child citizenship/registration instead of getting ILR for the baby first.

Yes. A UK born child does not need ILR.
Has anyone here done this before and been successful in their applications
Yes many.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ZGill
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Does the child born to be tier 2 parents need ILR or can directly apply for citizenship

Post by ZGill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you for such a prompt response so I guess it wouldn’t be a problem for child’s application for registration if the child wasn’t on any visa prior (just born here).
Just another question, if the newborn baby (born in uk) travels out of country before I get ILR, can I still apply for his registration while he is out of country for him to come back to UK.
Can I also ask if one child is already on tier 2 dependent do we have to apply for his dependent extension or ILR (he wasn’t born in uk) before his citizenship; Husband and child got tier 2 dependent visa in June 2016.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Thank you for such a prompt response so I guess it wouldn’t be a problem for child’s application for registration if the child wasn’t on any visa prior (just born here).

A UK born child does not need a visa to apply for citizenship. They have an entitlement to register as British once EITHER parent is granted ILR.
Just another question, if the newborn baby (born in uk) travels out of country before I get ILR, can I still apply for his registration while he is out of country for him to come back to UK.

Yes, but the child will need a British passport or a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode to return to the UK or a British passport.
Can I also ask if one child is already on tier 2 dependent do we have to apply for his dependent extension or ILR (he wasn’t born in uk) before his citizenship; Husband and child got tier 2 dependent visa in June 2016.
Children born abroad are expected to hold ILR (free from immigration time restrictions) before they qualify for citizenship. They can also only apply when one parent is also applying for citizenship or if one parent is already British AND the other parent holds ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ZGill
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ZGill » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Okay thanks so MN1 can be applied while the child is abroad but will need the certificate or passport to return to country? Not sure if a certificate will be accepted at the departure airport though. Also, can the passport be applied immediately after the registration is done and usually how long does it take to receive it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 pm

A certificate of registration as british is NOT a travel document. Child will still need either a british passport or certificate of entitlement to right of abode in a foreign passport.

Once the child is approved and registered as british and you have the certificate, you can apply for a passport at any time.

Applying from abroad can take up to 6 months, sometimes longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)