ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for both Settled Status + Permanent Residency - FYI

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Applying for both Settled Status + Permanent Residency - FYI

Post by NikiGio » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm

FYI

I asked an immigration lawyer today whether there's any rule impeding people from applying for Settled Status and later also applying for a document certifying Permanent Residency (DCPR).

There's no such rule - given the two applications are made based on two separate sets of legislation.

I'd asked in relation to the case of my parent - currently finding the EEA (PR) application as a dependent parent too complex, so will apply for Settled Status.

However, Settled Status is not backdated, so implies a 1 year wait to apply for Citizenship (unless married to a Brit).

So she'll apply for settled status (which will be free), see if she's successful - then eventually also apply for PR (£65 fee), which if succesfully backdated with QP 2012-2017 will mean she'll be able to apply for citizenship immediately.

This also means that if Brexit is stopped, she has EU documentation to prove her rights here 🙂
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.