ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement Scheme

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dialectic

EU Settlement Scheme

Post by dialectic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi

I currently have a EU FM residence biometric card (Switched from tier 2 last year) and my partner (wife - EU citizen) has a Permanent residence document.

I understand that if we apply individually via the settlement scheme (currently in test mode) she would get permanent residence and I would get temporary residence until I complete 5 years.

My question is for those who are in a similar situation (non EU partner of EU citizen with permanent status) who have used the settlement scheme.

Would the 5-year clock reset once I apply via the settlement scheme or would the time I have so far count towards the 5 year period?

Marriage was in May last year and I understand the date of the marriage certificate counts as the start date for the 5 year period before being able to settle. Would that still be the case with the Settlement Scheme?

Thanks a lot :)

kamoe
European Union

Re: EU Settlement Scheme

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:41 pm

dialectic wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm
Would the 5-year clock reset once I apply via the settlement scheme or would the time I have so far count towards the 5 year period?
No, clocks will not restart. Clocks restart when you change visa categories. Here you are applying to certify the time you've spent under EU rules for the purpose of converting that into UK law. Can you imagine if clocks reset? No one would apply!
Marriage was in May last year and I understand the date of the marriage certificate counts as the start date for the 5 year period before being able to settle. Would that still be the case with the Settlement Scheme?
Is this not the same question as above?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

dialectic

Re: EU Settlement Scheme

Post by dialectic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:13 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:41 pm
dialectic wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm
No, clocks will not restart. Clocks restart when you change visa categories. Here you are applying to certify the time you've spent under EU rules for the purpose of converting that into UK law. Can you imagine if clocks reset? No one would apply!
Is this not the same question as above?
Thanks a lot for your answer :)

Will be checking the timelines thread. Thanks again!