ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR-M...Can't find Marriage License!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AshleyGleed
Newly Registered

FLR-M...Can't find Marriage License!

Post by AshleyGleed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently in the UK on a Spouse Visa, I'm American, my husband is British born. My visa expires on the 13th of this month, and last week when I tried to book an appointment to take the Life in the UK test I found out that they didn't have any openings until after my visa expires! Sooo, now we're thinking I'll have to apply to extend it, so I can have some more time to take the test. The only problem is, we now can't find our marriage license, and I don't think there would be enough time to get one sent over from the States(that's where we were married). How likely is it that they would accept my application if I explained in a letter that we've lost the license and had no time to replace it? I mean, they'll be getting my passport, which has my spouse visa in it, isn't that just as good as a marriage license, which they obviously saw 2 years ago, hence me being given a visa? If they won't accept it though, I'm assuming my only choice will be to go back to the States? Thanks!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Maybe you should find a center who does have an opening on MOnday so you can apply for ILR. There are lots of them so call around.

AshleyGleed
Newly Registered

Post by AshleyGleed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:00 pm

But I can't apply for ILR until I've taken the Life in the UK test, right?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:03 pm

republique wrote:Maybe you should find a center who does have an opening on MOnday so you can apply for ILR. There are lots of them so call around.
ashley gleed wrote: But I can't apply for ILR until I've taken the Life in the UK test, right?
And that is why I just said, find a test center so you can take it Monday so you can apply for ILR

AshleyGleed
Newly Registered

Post by AshleyGleed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Oh right, sorry, I misunderstood your post. The only thing is, it says on the test website that you have to wait a minimum of 7 days to get an appointment.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:19 pm

AshleyGleed wrote:Oh right, sorry, I misunderstood your post. The only thing is, it says on the test website that you have to wait a minimum of 7 days to get an appointment.
Well sure then don't be proactive and find other centers, not all of them require 7 days

AshleyGleed
Newly Registered

Post by AshleyGleed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Sorry, I had no way of knowing that not all of them require 7 days, I was just going by what I read on the website.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm

AshleyGleed wrote:Sorry, I had no way of knowing that not all of them require 7 days, I was just going by what I read on the website.
- why dont u ring their number and check the possiblity of earlier date..

- i know couriers are very expensive, but if ur marriage license is posted from states on monday i think u shud get it in time.

- as the last option i think a clear explanation regarding the missing document wud be ennough, as u r already on spouse visa.. as long as u prove u have been together and mention that u intend to do the same..

thats what i feel...

AshleyGleed
Newly Registered

Post by AshleyGleed » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 am

Well I called the centres in Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, Basingstoke, Swindon, Camden, Elephant and Castle, Kensington, Westminster, Islington, and several more, and I was told it's always a minimum of 7 days. But on the bright side, I think I can get the marriage license sent here by Wednesday, and the woman I spoke to in the immigration bureau said if it doesn't get here in time I can send it in after the rest of my application.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:08 pm

AshleyGleed wrote:Well I called the centres in Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, Basingstoke, Swindon, Camden, Elephant and Castle, Kensington, Westminster, Islington, and several more, and I was told it's always a minimum of 7 days. But on the bright side, I think I can get the marriage license sent here by Wednesday, and the woman I spoke to in the immigration bureau said if it doesn't get here in time I can send it in after the rest of my application.
thats good news..
go ahead with application and send in marriage license later as they suggested..

FYI DHL couriers only takes days to deliver to india ..so it shud be same or faster to USA..

anyways that doesnt matter now... best wishes to u two...

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:23 pm

AshleyGleed wrote:Well I called the centres in Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, Basingstoke, Swindon, Camden, Elephant and Castle, Kensington, Westminster, Islington, and several more, and I was told it's always a minimum of 7 days. But on the bright side, I think I can get the marriage license sent here by Wednesday, and the woman I spoke to in the immigration bureau said if it doesn't get here in time I can send it in after the rest of my application.
Yes that's true but if you are there and someone doesn't show up sometimes you can get it done. Alternatively, you could apply for ILR and send the document afterwards since it takes them a couple weeks to process. Just like she said you can send the marriage certificate later.