ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PBS Dependant Visa Extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

PBS Dependant Visa Extension

Post by autoenthu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 am

Hi,

I have a few queries for my wife's PBS Dependant visa extension.

Her PBS dependant visa is based on my previous Tier 2 visa. I am now an ILR holder.
Wife visa:
Valid Until: 20.05.2019
Eligible for ILR: In 2021

Questions:
1. We are currently in India for a work assignment. Can she extend her PBS Dependant visa while in India? Or does she have to do it only in the UK?

2. If she extends the visa in the UK, is there any last date for application or is 20.05.2019 (date her visa is valid until) automatically the last date for her application? We are coincidentally travelling from France (tourist trip) to UK on 20.05.2019, hence the question. We wondered if this would cause any issue with UKBA.

3. We want to do a standard visa extension. I believe that is postal - does that mean she can apply on 20.05.2019 via online form and post passports the next day, would that be ok?

4. Also, is there any particular restriction in submitting the online application while in the UK (say 15.05.2019) and then travelling on the current visa and returning on 20.05.2019 and then posting the passport?

Hope someone can help, really appreciate this forum!

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: PBS Dependant Visa Extension

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am

autoenthu wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 am
Hi,

Her PBS dependant visa is based on my previous Tier 2 visa. I am now an ILR holder.
Wife visa:

Questions:
1. We are currently in India for a work assignment. Can she extend her PBS Dependant visa while in India? Or does she have to do it only in the UK? Only in the UK

2. If she extends the visa in the UK, is there any last date for application or is 20.05.2019 (date her visa is valid until) automatically the last date for her application? We are coincidentally travelling from France (tourist trip) to UK on 20.05.2019, hence the question. We wondered if this would cause any issue with UKBA. (The UKBA was disbanded some years ago, due to being 'unfit for purpose' and was replaced with the UKVI/Home Office). Your wife may well face questions from the IO at UK Border Control if she is entering on the day her visa expires.

3. We want to do a standard visa extension. I believe that is postal - does that mean she can apply on 20.05.2019 via online form and post passports the next day, would that be ok? The application process changed in November 2018. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-f ... ed-to-know

4. Also, is there any particular restriction in submitting the online application while in the UK (say 15.05.2019) and then travelling on the current visa and returning on 20.05.2019 and then posting the passport? "Waiting for a decision on your application
If you are applying for leave to remain, or indefinite leave to remain, you should not leave the UK until you have received a decision on your application. If you travel outside the “Common Travel Area” (CTA) before the decision is made on your application, your application will be treated as withdrawn. The CTA is:
UK
Republic of Ireland
Channel Islands
Isle of Man
."

Thanks
Were you granted ILR under the 5 year route, or long residence :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by autoenthu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks for the quick reply. My ILR is based on the 5 year route.

Follow up questions to 2 and 3 below please:

2. Ok, the IO will ask questions but technically is it correct to enter and submit the online application by evening on 20.05.19 if I tell the IO that the intention is to apply for the extension online on the same day?

3. Thanks, so the way I understand is submit online application, and then within 5 days attend an appointment for biometrics/documents using UKVCAS or even use the existing post office system.

But in terms of 'date of application', will that date still be 20.05.19 as long as I submit my online application on that particular day?

Thank you!
Casa wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am
autoenthu wrote:
Hi,

Wife visa:

Questions:
1. We are currently in India for a work assignment. Can she extend her PBS Dependant visa while in India? Or does she have to do it only in the UK? Only in the UK

2. If she extends the visa in the UK, is there any last date for application or is 20.05.2019 (date her visa is valid until) automatically the last date for her application? We are coincidentally travelling from France (tourist trip) to UK on 20.05.2019, hence the question. We wondered if this would cause any issue with UKBA. (The UKBA was disbanded some years ago, due to being 'unfit for purpose' and was replaced with the UKVI/Home Office). Your wife may well face questions from the IO at UK Border Control if she is entering on the day her visa expires.

3. We want to do a standard visa extension. I believe that is postal - does that mean she can apply on 20.05.2019 via online form and post passports the next day, would that be ok? The application process changed in November 2018. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-f ... ed-to-know

4. Also, is there any particular restriction in submitting the online application while in the UK (say 15.05.2019) and then travelling on the current visa and returning on 20.05.2019 and then posting the passport? "Waiting for a decision on your application
If you are applying for leave to remain, or indefinite leave to remain, you should not leave the UK until you have received a decision on your application. If you travel outside the “Common Travel Area” (CTA) before the decision is made on your application, your application will be treated as withdrawn. The CTA is:
UK
Republic of Ireland
Channel Islands
Isle of Man
."

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:13 pm

autoenthu wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm
Hi Casa,

Thanks for the quick reply. My ILR is based on the 5 year route.

Follow up questions to 2 and 3 below please:

2. Ok, the IO will ask questions but technically is it correct to enter and submit the online application by evening on 20.05.19 if I tell the IO that the intention is to apply for the extension online on the same day?
Yes, if your explanation is convincing.
3. Thanks, so the way I understand is submit online application, and then within 5 days attend an appointment for biometrics/documents using UKVCAS or even use the existing post office system. What Post Office system?

But in terms of 'date of application', will that date still be 20.05.19 as long as I submit my online application on that particular day? Yes

Thank you!
Casa wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am
autoenthu wrote:
Hi,

Wife visa:

Questions:

UK
Republic of Ireland
Channel Islands
Isle of Man
."

Thanks
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by autoenthu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Ok, thanks.

By post office system, I mean the current system. Sorry if the language isn’t so clear. We haven’t done standard before, we do one day appointment generally. My understanding of the standard appointment is that one fills the papers form and posts with all documents, and then does Biometrics at a post office.
But with the UKVCS system, one applies online (my case 20.05.19) and then take documents and biometrics from UKVCS. Correct?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Are you aware that using the 'old' system the processing time is expected to be 8 weeks before a decision is made and could be up to 12 weeks.

The application date is the date of posting.

You're cutting it fine by applying on the date of expiry....if your flight arrival for example is delayed. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by autoenthu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Ok, so postal is to be avoided. But based on the link you sent earlier, I can do it online via the UKVCS right? I understand that the core UKVCS centres give free appointments, and the additional enhanced centres charge £60-100 for the appointment for biometrics and document checking.

And for these appointments, online application is the date of application as you confirmed earlier, correct?

Is the time still 8 weeks for this UKVCS method also? And the UKVCS system would be under the standard visa fees still?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

autoenthu wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm
Ok, so postal is to be avoided. But based on the link you sent earlier, I can do it online via the UKVCS right? I understand that the core UKVCS centres give free appointments, and the additional enhanced centres charge £60-100 for the appointment for biometrics and document checking.

And for these appointments, online application is the date of application as you confirmed earlier, correct?
Correct
Is the time still 8 weeks for this UKVCS method also? And the UKVCS system would be under the standard visa fees still? It could be.
Is your trip to France really necessary? Your wife could be given a hard time by the airline staff when checking in for the return journey. Not all check-in agents have an understanding of the complex Immigration Rules, :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by autoenthu » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks Casa. The trip to France isn't necessary but would make it easier for me if we could go since ticket, etc. are already booked.

Anyone with a second opinion, maybe CR001?

Thanks