ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US/Irish Marriage and Visa Questions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hiddengl0w
Newly Registered

US/Irish Marriage and Visa Questions

Post by hiddengl0w » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm a US Citizen and my Fiance is Irish. We're planning to civilly get married here in the states in the next two or three weeks with plans to move back to my fiance's apartment in Dublin in August.

I've been reading up on some of the Irish marriage laws and notice that one of the requirements is to give the government 3 months notice. Does that apply if we get married here in the states?

My next question has to do with visas etc. I lived in Ireland for six months on and off this past year on a holiday visa in order to be with my Fiance. I want to move back with him in August, although if I can't get a visa for being his spouse right away, I won't be able to go back until after October I presume with a holiday visa (thats when I went to Ireland to begin my 6 month stay this past year). Is there any way to get an extension or some type of temporary visa until october being that we'd have a marriage certificate or what?

Any information anyone has would be really helpful. Thanks so much.

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi there,

as a non-visa required national it is not possible to get issued with a 'spouse visa' which would be a stamp 4 (allowed to work without a work permit) until you are in the country.

The three month notice period is only for marriages that occur within Ireland.

The way I did it was to show up at the border with my spouse and our marriage certificate. I was given a stamp telling me to register at the GNIB within one month. We did this and I was granted a stamp 4 for one year. We will be getting the remainder at the end of this year (4 years). Hope this all means you can move back in August.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Drogs
Newly Registered

Post by Drogs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi hiddengl0w,

Please let me know how you get on, I get some conflicting information on this subject. I hope that it is as easy as previously mentioned. I (Irish national) will marry my Canadian fiancee in Canada in a years time and will hope that there is minimum delay for her to obtain the stamp-4 so we can live/work in Ireland.

Best of luck in your wedding plans and congrats