ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

family name is married name or maiden name?pls help me

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saral
Newly Registered

family name is married name or maiden name?pls help me

Post by saral » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:35 pm

hi friends,
i plan to apply for the HSMP from India and i have a few querries,i request you to kindly help me in this
1) my last name in my passport has my married name viz. my husband's lastname,while my last name at work which i had joined prior to my marraige and continue to work even now, is shown by my maiden name and to further complicate matters,my masters degree shows the initial of my maiden name as the last name.pls note that the first name in all the above cases is the same. is this complication likely to be a problem for me and if not what should i enter my family name as in the application ? the one that appears in the passport or the one reflected in my work records ? would it be a problem if the last name is shown as only an initial in my degree?
i have my marraige certificate. will that be of any help?
thank you all

zeke

Post by zeke » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:33 pm

Since your passport is a key peice of legal proof of your identity, I would use the name on the passport. Also, since the purpose of HSMP is to allow you to be in the UK legally, it is closely tied to passport and related documents. So-- I would use the passport name for your HSMP application.

But I would also write a letter for inclusion in the HSMP application which carefully explains why your various records (passport, employment documents, marriage certificate) show different names. I would include notary-certified copies of these documents (preferably a color photocopyof the passport), and why you have elected to use the name on your passport in your HSMP application.

Maybe it would also be helpful for your employer to also write a letter on their letterhead in which they say something to the effect of :

"the person whose name is _______ on passport # XXXXX is the same individual as the person we are employing in the _______ position in our company, and whom we refer to with the name ______ in our employment records. I have personally seen passport #XXXX and I certify the above statement as true and correct."

You may want to ask the university where you got your degree to write a similar letter.

I have a similar issue, with different names on my diplomas and passport. In addition, about 20 years ago I changed the spelling of my first name. I plan to write a letter as described above, and will include a copy of my current passport, which has the name I will use in my HSMP application. I may include my divorce papers, which shows the name I used when I was married, and the name I am using now.

I hope this helps.
Be Well!

saral
Newly Registered

Post by saral » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:06 pm

thanks a lot zeke,i was really worried about that issue.
instead of getting a letter each from the employer,the university,the marraige registration centre,etc
is it possible to get a notary or any other legal authority to confirm in writing on behalf of all the above cases to confirm that the individual in question is the same?
wishing you all the best.
saral

zeke

Post by zeke » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:14 pm

I don't see why you couldn't use a notary to certify your identity on the various documents.

You might ask a notary about it -- for example, will he/she want to see a picture identification for each name?

Please keep us posted on your progress!
Be Well!

tgs

Post by tgs » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:20 pm

I would imagine that your marriage certificate (that states your you maiden name) would do the trick ?

Don't they ask on the HSMP Application for you maiden name ?

Isn't common practice around the world that woman have studied first and then married.

Or am I missing the point here

saral
Newly Registered

Post by saral » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:59 am

zeke wrote:I don't see why you couldn't use a notary to certify your identity on the various documents.

You might ask a notary about it -- for example, will he/she want to see a picture identification for each name?

Please keep us posted on your progress!
ty zeke..I will keep you informed.I am still at the very beggining of preparing and sorting out the required documents for the application.I think it will take me some more time to complete the process.
good luck

saral
Newly Registered

Post by saral » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:10 am

tgs wrote:I would imagine that your marriage certificate (that states your you maiden name) would do the trick ?

Don't they ask on the HSMP Application for you maiden name ?

Isn't common practice around the world that woman have studied first and then married.

Or am I missing the point here
I think you are right 'tgs',from what i gather from friends like you and zeke and others here in India ,the marraige certificate should be a good evidence.But my problem is that in the marraige certificate, my maiden last name is in full wheras in my graduation degree only the initial of my maiden last name is shown. I wanted to make sure that there would be no problem in this regard.I think as zeke pointed out ,a notary might confirm it to be the same or i have to approach my university
good luck

gunjans

Re: family name is married name or maiden name?pls help me

Post by gunjans » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:25 am

saral wrote:hi friends,
i plan to apply for the HSMP from India and i have a few querries,i request you to kindly help me in this
1) my last name in my passport has my married name viz. my husband's lastname,while my last name at work which i had joined prior to my marraige and continue to work even now, is shown by my maiden name and to further complicate matters,my masters degree shows the initial of my maiden name as the last name.pls note that the first name in all the above cases is the same. is this complication likely to be a problem for me and if not what should i enter my family name as in the application ? the one that appears in the passport or the one reflected in my work records ? would it be a problem if the last name is shown as only an initial in my degree?
i have my marraige certificate. will that be of any help?
thank you all
Dear Saral,

As per the Form " Family Name" means what is your family cast...... once you r married, ur Husband and kids are family so THAT IS UR FAMILY NAME and before marraige IT'S UR PARENTS.
So, u have to fill ur cast after marriage and about ur employer doc's u must have mentioned in ur office abt ur marriage so effectively ur records must have changed....... so no problem with that since u have ur marriage certificate and it's clearly mentioned ur DOM.... so, ur salary slips and other doc's from ur employer will have (should have) ur changed name after DOM and previous doc's will have ur maiden name.
About, ur degree certificate it will definetely have ur maiden name and no problem as ppl out there understand this point.

BTW i am also from India, Delhi so can u tell me more about ur self.

Warm rgds,
Gunjan.

saral
Newly Registered

Post by saral » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:38 am

Thank you for your reply Gunjan.My problem is i havent changed my last name at my work after marraige.If i change now after 9 years , it will be a mixture of documents with my maiden last name and married name.Which is the better option?
1)get a letter from the employer or a notary confirming me as the same individual or
2)change my name in my work records by submitting my marraige certificate.

As for my details,i am planning to apply after making sure all the documents are proper and i am planning to claim 25 for my masters degree if it is confirmed as equivalent to UK Level by NARIC
35 or 50 points for work experience ,(i am still not sure about what my work experience will be considered as) and 10 points for spouse achievements. I wont get any points for the income (unless they consider income from agriculture too).I dont think anyone (except the very high senior level ones) working in a PSU or a govt job in india can even get anywhere close to the minimum income band and earn points for the income based on salary alone

good luck

gunjans

Post by gunjans » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 am

If u do Option 2
2)change my name in my work records by submitting my marraige certificate.
Then will your previous record get changed as required (if these r computer generated).
IF NOT..... then go for Option 1
1)get a letter from the employer or a notary confirming me as the same individual

Sher

Post by Sher » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Remember, the western world is not straight-jacketed in name terms, unless of course u r married to royalty !
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll: