ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French tourist visa for Americans question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fabgab
Newly Registered

French tourist visa for Americans question

Post by fabgab » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Hello all,
I know that Americans can stay in France on a tourist visa for 3 months, w/o having to apply for anything. My question is if an American is in France, and then takes a weekend trip for example to the UK, does the 3 months start over? Or do you have to return to the US for the tourist visa to get renewed?
Thanks a bunch for any help!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: French tourist visa for Americans question

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:48 pm

fabgab wrote:Hello all,
I know that Americans can stay in France on a tourist visa for 3 months, w/o having to apply for anything. My question is if an American is in France, and then takes a weekend trip for example to the UK, does the 3 months start over? Or do you have to return to the US for the tourist visa to get renewed?
Thanks a bunch for any help!
Three months in every six, dood, so the American will have to say out of the Schengen space for three months before re-entering.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. So does that mean that if one returns to the US, and then tries to fly back to France a few weeks later, would entry be denied?
Thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm

fabgab wrote:Thanks for the reply. So does that mean that if one returns to the US, and then tries to fly back to France a few weeks later, would entry be denied?
Thanks!
I think so - it's all recorded on SIS - the Schengen Info system. Not worth risking it at all, supreme folly....

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok. Is there any official website that you know of, or who I can call to get a definitive answer and talk to this about? Would a French consulate be a good place to call?
Thanks again.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:23 pm

fabgab wrote:Ok. Is there any official website that you know of, or who I can call to get a definitive answer and talk to this about? Would a French consulate be a good place to call?
Thanks again.
What are you planning to do? A Schengen visa allows the holder to travel freely within the Schengen countries for a maximum stay of up to 90 days in a 6 month period, and that's it.

Taking to someone won't bend the rules for anyone.

If you need to be in France for longer then apply for the appropriate visa.

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Ok, I understand now. I didn't realize it was over a 6 month period. I am waiting for my work permit to come through, and don't know how long that is going to take. Its already been a few months now. So just trying to figure out my options. Thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:33 pm

fabgab wrote:Ok, I understand now. I didn't realize it was over a 6 month period. I am waiting for my work permit to come through, and don't know how long that is going to take. Its already been a few months now. So just trying to figure out my options. Thanks.
You cant work on a Schengen visa anyway - best to wait for the the proper jobby!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 am

Just so you know....many American's work in Europe without ever getting a work Visa....I know many of them personally, some who have been living in Europe (Italy and a couple of others) for many years working as well as travelling evey few months without having any problems! They are never checked at passport control and asked why they have been here 2 years for example!

It seems that if you are not a third country national the checks on you are not so tough!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 pm

ciaramc wrote:Just so you know....many American's work in Europe without ever getting a work Visa....I know many of them personally, some who have been living in Europe (Italy and a couple of others) for many years working as well as travelling evey few months without having any problems! They are never checked at passport control and asked why they have been here 2 years for example!

It seems that if you are not a third country national the checks on you are not so tough!
This is true, but for me I prefer to remain 100% legal when it comes to visas, and not become one of the 'I got caught, sorry, so please let me off' whiners we get on here!

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 pm

ciaramc wrote:

I hope you're not including the UK in that statement.

My girlfriend is a Japanese student and gets nothing but hassle from the BIA everytime she tries to re-enter the country.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 am

Spark wrote:
ciaramc wrote:

My girlfriend is a Japanese student and gets nothing but hassle from the BIA everytime she tries to re-enter the country.
Oddly, my Russian student gf has exited and entered the UK many times without anything hassle whatsoever. She's white though, interestingly geographically Asian, from Siberia.

Actually that's not true, we once had a whale of a time at the Jet2 desk at Manchester airport. GF has Russian passport, UK student visa, and German Work permit all current and she was flying to Berlin. It was all too much for the Slovakian desk girl who spent about 20 mins staring at it all with a huge book of visa rules I think, called her supervisor, wandered off a bit and came back and let her through.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 am

ciaramc wrote:Just so you know....many American's work in Europe without ever getting a work Visa....I know many of them personally, some who have been living in Europe (Italy and a couple of others) for many years working as well as travelling evey few months without having any problems! They are never checked at passport control and asked why they have been here 2 years for example!

Yes, that's true for me. Half the time they don't even bother looking at my passport photo page! In particular the Italians........I've also been waiting behind others (I think they may have been visa required) who have been given an absolute drilling....
I've been asked once out of probably the 12 or 13 times I've entered schengen where I was going, and that was it. (I work legally in Ireland btw).

Regarding spending 3 months in total in the schengen area, I'm not sure that applies in some cases. New Zealanders are still allowed to spend 3 months in each country within the schengen zone due to individual reciprocal agreements that exist between New Zealand and every country in the schengen zone. There was talk of this changing, but these countries were reminded of such individual agreements. I'm not sure whether this applies to other non-visa required countries. A number of these agreements do have time limits attached. For example, I am only allowed to spend 6 months out of a 12 month period in Denmark.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Spark wrote:
ciaramc wrote:

Oddly, my Russian student gf has exited and entered the UK many times without anything hassle whatsoever. She's white though, interestingly geographically Asian, from Siberia.

Actually that's not true, we once had a whale of a time at the Jet2 desk at Manchester airport. GF has Russian passport, UK student visa, and German Work permit all current and she was flying to Berlin. It was all too much for the Slovakian desk girl who spent about 20 mins staring at it all with a huge book of visa rules I think, called her supervisor, wandered off a bit and came back and let her through.
Oh they don't give her any trouble as such, they're just a bit nasty with her and treat her like she's an idiot.

I've only re-entered the country with her once and that was on a trip back from a weekend in France and they made us go through the Other Passports section together (Paris let her come through the EEA section with me and were joking around, speaking in Japanese to her) and then the officer just spoke to her in a manner that I would consider less than respectful.

I kept out of it though, just because she's used to dealing with these people really.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I find the same unwanted policing attitude from people those who stand near the boarding gate and checking passports- they carry a lot of head weight in letting you through
Once it happened in Doha airport, the guy (he looked like an Indian or Pakistani) at the boarding gate asking:

how did you get your UK passport ?
Me: excuse me, is that really a concern for you in letting me through the gate ?

he may have felt offended by that question, and made my passport subject to a 15 minute fraud check (fair enough, he has done some job for the day! )

(btw, I'm originally Indian)

Spark wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Spark wrote:
ciaramc wrote:

Oh they don't give her any trouble as such, they're just a bit nasty with her and treat her like she's an idiot.

I've only re-entered the country with her once and that was on a trip back from a weekend in France and they made us go through the Other Passports section together (Paris let her come through the EEA section with me and were joking around, speaking in Japanese to her) and then the officer just spoke to her in a manner that I would consider less than respectful.

I kept out of it though, just because she's used to dealing with these people really.