ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change name before spouse visa application?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Robstin2014
United States of America

Change name before spouse visa application?

Post by Robstin2014 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi,

I got married 2 months ago to my wife who is an American citizen on a Tier 4 Student Visa expiring soon.

We got married in the states and it is proving to be difficult to change her name on documents like her passport and BRP card.

The passport shouldn't be too difficult, however the BRP card is the real issue, it seems that it could take 8 weeks or so which could put my wife at risk of going over her visa expiry date.

We are considering not changing her name until after her spouse visa is granted and submitting her application with her maiden name on it. Do you think this would be okay or would the UKBA think its suspicious that we are married yet she still has her maiden name?

Any help would be appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change name before spouse visa application?

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

No issues. There is no UK legal requirement to change your name after marriage.

You could of course not change the brp and only change her passport and then apply soonest for a spouse visa if you meet all the requirements. No issue doing this either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Robstin2014
United States of America

Post by Robstin2014 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Will they not have a problem that the documents have different last names?

And also isn't there a requirement to update your BRP card ASAP after a change of circumstance?

I really appreciate your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 pm

You have a marriage cert showing the marriage and change of name.

You are overthinking. If she is changing visa there should be no problem. She must change her passport though if she wants her married name on her new visa.

When do you plan on applying for her spouse visa??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Robstin2014
United States of America

Post by Robstin2014 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm

I am a bit of an overthinker....

We can apply 1st of April 2019 as that is when I will have 6 months worth of payslips earning £18,600.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Robstin2014 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm
I am a bit of an overthinker....

We can apply 1st of April 2019 as that is when I will have 6 months worth of payslips earning £18,600.
Over thinking in UK visa matters is a good habit. Marriage certificate is the biggest proof of change of name and along with your new passport it will definitely work whenever you ready to apply.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Robstin2014
United States of America

Post by Robstin2014 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Possibly overthinking again, however just thought I’d ask.

1) Doesn’t updating her passport but not her BRP go against the HO Change in Circumstances guidance: https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

2) If so spouse visa processing times can be up to 12 weeks from what I understand which would be enoughy time to break this rule in itself.

3) We have an appointment with the US Embassy in London on Thursday to get her passport changed to her married name. Based on the above, would you still advise we are doing the right thing based on the timings. (We really want to have her name changed already).

Thanks for all your help!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Robstin2014 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm
Possibly overthinking again, however just thought I’d ask.

1) Doesn’t updating her passport but not her BRP go against the HO Change in Circumstances guidance: https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

2) If so spouse visa processing times can be up to 12 weeks from what I understand which would be enoughy time to break this rule in itself.

3) We have an appointment with the US Embassy in London on Thursday to get her passport changed to her married name. Based on the above, would you still advise we are doing the right thing based on the timings. (We really want to have her name changed already).

Thanks for all your help!
If you search the board then will see hundreds of threads on similar topic and members have no issue in doing so.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Robstin2014
United States of America

Post by Robstin2014 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi, thank you for your help again.

Would you be able to link any similar threads as I'm struggling to find them.

Also, would we be required to send her current BRP card in the post when we submit her application?