ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ID card instead of passport for MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shmitsky
Newly Registered
Scotland

ID card instead of passport for MN1

Post by shmitsky » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi,

Now my British citizenship was approved I started filling in MN1's for my 2 kids - they are asking for Passport details for them - which made me reaslise, few weeks before Brexit, they've been travelling on EU national ID cards *facepalm*
Both kids born here, applying on the basis of one parent becoming a BC, do you guys think I can apply with ID cards only, or should I get an appointment at the embassy to get the EU passports for them?

Thanks in advance

secret.simon

Re: ID card instead of passport for MN1

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 pm

So long as both children were born in the UK AND at least one parent is now settled in the UK, I do not see any reason for them to be denied registration under Section 1(3). Having an EU passport (or indeed any passport) is not a requirement. Some posts on these forums have stated that children without passport have been registered without issue.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shmitsky
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by shmitsky » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks! Looks like they will want to see the expired passport and ID document, as this is what they asked for.

Online MN1 form is confusing tho.
1st they ask for a valid passport, if you haven't got that, they ask for reasons why, and then for an expired one, then for an EU ID card, and then for something called ''Travel document'.

If you answer, as in my case, that the child has got and expired passport, valid EU ID card, and no additional 'Travel documnent' it assumes that you dont want to provide any identification and asks why. So you have to go back and re-enter the ID document info under 'Travel documnent' :shock:
That's for a 12 year old child,

For my 7 year old added to the same application, it didn't ask for any documentation, not even passport... why would that be?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm

shmitsky wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:10 pm
If you answer, as in my case, that the child has got and expired passport, valid EU ID card, and no additional 'Travel documnent' it assumes that you dont want to provide any identification and asks why. So you have to go back and re-enter the ID document info under 'Travel documnent'
That's for a 12 year old child,

For my 7 year old added to the same application, it didn't ask for any documentation, not even passport... why would that be?
Probably because the form is multi-purpose. Children over the age of 10 are expected to be of good character (including not breaking any immigration laws/rules) if applying under Section 3(1), at discretion, while children under the age of 10 years are not required to meet the good character requirements, even if applying under Section 3(1), at discretion.

As both your children are born in the UK, it is a Section 1(3) application and an entitlement, not at discretion.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.