ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Australian Citizen wants to live/work in EU

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hans kolomann
Newly Registered

Australian Citizen wants to live/work in EU

Post by hans kolomann » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi All,
I would like to have your opinion about how *reasonable* it is to try to enter the UK under Tier 1 or HSMP and spend some 5 or 6 years there in order to get the UK citizenship and then be able to work/move free around the EU.
I am a married IT Consultant with 12 years experience and it seems difficult to get jobs in the EU without a EU passport. I would prefer to work in Germany or France but not so much in England as the latter seems to be already overcrowded. But to enter Germany or France you need a EU passport :(
My question again is, are there any other options if my intention is to be able to live in those countries? Also, how bad or good is life in the UK? Taking into account that I live in Sydney, what would you think of someone moving to the UK? Crazy?
(Actually I am from Latin America, Australian citizen since last 2006).

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:15 pm

German Work Permit?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Germany is generally easier to migrate to than Britain, unless your wife is British or something, you should apply to Germany instead, especially if that is your chosen destination anyway.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:52 am

I have lived in the UK for over 9 years and now moved to Australia. I personally find Australia a lot better than the UK but there are also some (minor) disadvantages. I know that I will never return to Europe to live there on a permanent basis.

You almost certainly have to speak one of the European languages fluently in order to work in Europe and build a reasonable lifestyle there. It is better to be sponsored by an employer to get there and then apply for residence. Going blindly without a job is a pretty bad idea, I would say pretty daft idea.

Your decision should come from your occupation and whether that occupation is on demand in the country you are heading on to. You are right about the UK - it is too overcrowded already, Germany is a better country to live in. Scandinavian countries are too expensive to live and it is traditionally more difficult to integrate into those societies if you are from a different ethnic origin. There are a lot of immigrants and Germany and the adaptation should be easier there. But fluent German is the must before you get any reasonable job there.

What made you decide to leave Australia by the way?

All the best

Jeff

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 am

German language is not neccessary for IT jobs in Germany, lord knows I get lots in my mailbox, but if u want to settle there as a non-EU person u will need to pass a stringent language test. German is quite easy though language-wise.

hans kolomann
Newly Registered

Post by hans kolomann » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Wanderer wrote:German language is not neccessary for IT jobs in Germany, lord knows I get lots in my mailbox, but if u want to settle there as a non-EU person u will need to pass a stringent language test. German is quite easy though language-wise.
Thanks to all who replied!

1- Reasons for leaving: Australia is a great country, though my outlook on life or "Weltanschauung" makes me to yearn for less materialistic societies where the balance between work, life and cultural nourishment is more optimal. Unfortunately Australia is becoming a mimicry of the US, specially in Sydney. Second reason is that my wife and I have relatives in Spain and France.
2- Migrating to Germany not that easy: I am IT consultant without a EU passport (my italian ancestors are too remote and lost in the past). I can read/understand German very well, although speaking perfect German is not to be gained by reading books (as I do), but by actually submerging yourself in their culture. Got the impression German employeers want me to speak perfect Deutsch. English-only companies are few.
3- If I get a German working visa my wife would have to wait and see i.e. she won't be allowed to work without sponsors. She is working as translator here in Sydney (English to Spanish). Moving to UK might be good in the sense of allowing my wife to work as well thanks to my HSMP/Tier 1 visa.

Thanks again for your help!
Hans.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm

hans kolomann wrote:
Wanderer wrote:German language is not neccessary for IT jobs in Germany, lord knows I get lots in my mailbox, but if u want to settle there as a non-EU person u will need to pass a stringent language test. German is quite easy though language-wise.
Thanks to all who replied!

1- Reasons for leaving: Australia is a great country, though my outlook on life or "Weltanschauung" makes me to yearn for less materialistic societies where the balance between work, life and cultural nourishment is more optimal. Unfortunately Australia is becoming a mimicry of the US, specially in Sydney. Second reason is that my wife and I have relatives in Spain and France.
2- Migrating to Germany not that easy: I am IT consultant without a EU passport (my italian ancestors are too remote and lost in the past). I can read/understand German very well, although speaking perfect German is not to be gained by reading books (as I do), but by actually submerging yourself in their culture. Got the impression German employeers want me to speak perfect Deutsch. English-only companies are few.
3- If I get a German working visa my wife would have to wait and see i.e. she won't be allowed to work without sponsors. She is working as translator here in Sydney (English to Spanish). Moving to UK might be good in the sense of allowing my wife to work as well thanks to my HSMP/Tier 1 visa.

Thanks again for your help!
Hans.
Almost all the ones I get (I'm looking to work in Germany in a year or so) require no German, although they do seem to be mainly Dusseldorf/Frankfurt/Munich - the IT centres. I'm picky - I want Berlin cos I love the place but there's not a lot of work there despite ludricous amounts of investment to restore it's 'Capital' position.

Plus I'm 'back office' - Solaris and LDAP - I don't have to talk to people, handy cos I despise the general public......

As the great Alan Partridge once said 'I just hate....people.....'

UK is getting like USA too, thats why I like Germany, but I must admit I don't like everything being closed on Sundays, no 'cashback', Banks closed at lunchtimes, half day closing still, sunday evening variety shows on telly, and the preposterous mullets still sported by the average German male....