ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP and EC, but not yet in the UK. Do I apply for Tier 1?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

giblet
United States of America

HSMP and EC, but not yet in the UK. Do I apply for Tier 1?

Post by giblet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi all,

Am completely not up to date on the goings ons of the HSMP. Currently I have a HSMP and have been granted EC. However, I am not yet living in the UK.

With the HSMP and EC, am I legally allowed to work in the UK or do I have to now apply for the Tier 1 thing as well? Can I apply for Tier 1 before I move to the UK?

Am thinking of moving to the UK soon but want to make sure I'm still legally employable.

Thanks!

push
United Kingdom

Re: HSMP and EC, but not yet in the UK. Do I apply for Tier

Post by push » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 pm

giblet wrote:Hi all,

Am completely not up to date on the goings ons of the HSMP. Currently I have a HSMP and have been granted EC. However, I am not yet living in the UK.

With the HSMP and EC, am I legally allowed to work in the UK or do I have to now apply for the Tier 1 thing as well? Can I apply for Tier 1 before I move to the UK?

Am thinking of moving to the UK soon but want to make sure I'm still legally employable.

Thanks!
Would be helpful if you provided us more detaisl leik:

when did you get HSMP/EC
Did you ever enter UK after getting the EC
For how long the EC was granted
Any other relevant info

regards,

push_hsmp

giblet
United States of America

Re: HSMP and EC, but not yet in the UK. Do I apply for Tier

Post by giblet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 pm

push_hsmp wrote: Would be helpful if you provided us more detaisl leik:

when did you get HSMP/EC
Did you ever enter UK after getting the EC
For how long the EC was granted
Any other relevant info

regards,

push_hsmp
I was granted the HSMP 10/06.
EC is valid 06/07-06/09.
I've entered the UK many times in the last year, but haven't actually lived there.
I did the points calculator for the Tier 1 and I qualify, but I'm still confused as to whether I need to get it, and if so, do I have to wait until I am residing in the UK? With just the HSMP and not the Tier 1, am I eligible to work in the UK now?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 pm

I did the points calculator for the Tier 1 and I qualify, but I'm still confused as to whether I need to get it, and if so, do I have to wait until I am residing in the UK? With just the HSMP and not the Tier 1, am I eligible to work in the UK now?
as long as your EC is valid, you are eligible to work in UK. You will need to apply for tier-1 (or whichever scheme is in place then) immediately before your current EC expires - that means you do not need it now.

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 pm

push_hsmp wrote:as long as your EC is valid, you are eligible to work in UK. You will need to apply for tier-1 (or whichever scheme is in place then) immediately before your current EC expires - that means you do not need it now.
Nice one! Do I need to do a full application again or does the initial HSMP approval cover some of it? Stupidly I left all of my application documents (birth cert, degree, etc.) on another continent.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 pm

You will need most of the suff when it comes up for extension next year. Nothing needed right now.

As HSMP leads to settlement and an applicant is expected to make UK as his main home and therefore, remain in UK and be economically active, you might have some questions from the Immigration Officer whenyou enter UK.

regards,

push_hsmp

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. My company transferred me to Ireland for a while but am now ready for the UK! I think I'll be able to make the case once it comes up.

Thanks again for the help.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:40 am

giblet wrote:Thanks for the advice. My company transferred me to Ireland for a while but am now ready for the UK! I think I'll be able to make the case once it comes up.

Thanks again for the help.
No worries. All the best !!

roza

Post by roza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:45 pm

I have a question if a person come to UK less then 4 months before expiry of first 2 years EC,Can s/he gets the extenation without a proper job.
Much Appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Not unless you can somehow fulfil the income requirements. The income criteria and requirements would depend on when you applied for HSMP initially (under pre-Dec'06 rules or post Dec'06 rules).

regards
roza wrote:I have a question if a person come to UK less then 4 months before expiry of first 2 years EC,Can s/he gets the extenation without a proper job.
Much Appreciated.