ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and Good Character debt question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

irelavv
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Naturalisation and Good Character debt question

Post by irelavv » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello all.

I'll keep this short as I've read a plethora of forum topics and searched for some helpful answers in regards to my question.

I am from the EU and have a PR and have waited 12 months after PR date to apply for citizenship.

In 2014 I was living with an awful flatmate who did not pay his share of bills but since we shared a flat this affected everyone. This resulted in letters from British Gas and Southern Water demanding payment around £200. Later, this continued through debt collection agencies even to my new address a few months ago.

My question is: how can I check if I have a CCJ? And, if I do not have a CCJ and have not made any attempts to pay off my flatmate's debt (which remember affects everyone when sharing) - what are the chances of getting a refusal for citizenship?

PS - I don't remember ever receiving a CCJ but I'm stressed out.

Thank you in advance guys!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation and Good Character debt question

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 pm

You can check online for a small fee

https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judgmen ... dit-rating
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

irelavv
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Re: Naturalisation and Good Character debt question

Post by irelavv » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you Casa.

I checked and can now confirm that I do not have a CCJ.

However, since I have not made any arrangements with the debt agencies for repayment of the money, how risky do you think it could be in terms of my application being refused?

I know PR checks are not as strict and thorough as BC checks, but since I don't have a CCJ I guess odds should be in my favor? If anyone else has experienced something similar please let me know. Thanks again.