ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Scheme or Residence Card?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Brassica
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Settlement Scheme or Residence Card?

Post by Brassica » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Hello,

Currently I’m on a Tier 5 Working Visa which is soon set to expire. I am marrying my partner who is a Swedish National in April before it expires.

He will be eligible for settled status with the new EU Settlement Scheme, and my question is: once we are married will I just be able to apply for this tacked onto his application? Or will I need to apply for a residence card before doing this? I know the information is a little scant at the moment, but from what I’ve read it seems as though going straight through the Settlement Scheme when it opens makes the most sense. Will there be a problem with me doing that while being here currently under Tier 5?

Cheers

kamoe
European Union

Re: Settlement Scheme or Residence Card?

Post by kamoe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Brassica wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:16 pm
He will be eligible for settled status with the new EU Settlement Scheme, and my question is: once we are married will I just be able to apply for this tacked onto his application?
Correct. You can attach your application to his, however, even if e qualifies for Settled status, you will only be granted Pre-Settled status (you need 5 years spent as the family member of an EU national to qualify for Settled status).
Or will I need to apply for a residence card before doing this?
No need to apply for RC to apply for the Settlement Scheme.
Will there be a problem with me doing that while being here currently under Tier 5?
When does your Tier 5 expire? And where are you getting married?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Brassica
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Brassica » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm

kamoe wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Will there be a problem with me doing that while being here currently under Tier 5?
Thanks a lot for that info. The wedding is end of April and my visa expires mid May. It is a little fine, and I’m trying to see about moving the ceremony date forward. Getting married in London. (Have done necessary notice/ home office referral)

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Brassica wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm
kamoe wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Thanks a lot for that info. The wedding is end of April and my visa expires mid May. It is a little fine, and I’m trying to see about moving the ceremony date forward. Getting married in London. (Have done necessary notice/ home office referral)
If the HO has already given the green light for the wedding to take place in April, you will be fine. When you get married you will be the direct family member of an EU citizen, an as such, as long as your husband continues to be a qualified person in the UK, you will have an automatic right to accompany him, and strictly speaking you will not immediately need any further documentation to remain legally in the UK.

You should, of course, apply for Pre-Settled status as soon as you can, as this will facilitate your life in a number of ways (prove your right to work, travel, and rent accommodation, for example), but you will have sometime before the hard deadline: December 31st 2021 if the UK comes out of the EU with a deal, or June 30th 2020 in the event of no deal (see info on when to apply for settled status here).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

sfljiaf
European Union

Post by sfljiaf » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am

kamoe wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 pm
If the HO has already given the green light for the wedding to take place in April, you will be fine. When you get married you will be the direct family member of an EU citizen, an as such, as long as your husband continues to be a qualified person in the UK, you will have an automatic right to accompany him, and strictly speaking you will not immediately need any further documentation to remain legally in the UK.

You should, of course, apply for Pre-Settled status as soon as you can, as this will facilitate your life in a number of ways (prove your right to work, travel, and rent accommodation, for example), but you will have sometime before the hard deadline: December 31st 2021 if the UK comes out of the EU with a deal, or June 30th 2020 in the event of no deal (see info on when to apply for settled status here).
In the event of a no-deal Brexit, would one still qualify if the wedding is after Brexit date? My understanding was that you'd have to be exercising treaty rights on Brexit day to qualify, but I've been wondering about this scenario. Do you have any source for this?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am

sfljiaf wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am
kamoe wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 pm

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, would one still qualify if the wedding is after Brexit date?
Good... question... In the event of a no-deal, if you were getting married abroad, and your Tier 5 was already expired, you would definitely need a Family Permit to regain access to the UK, and your previous automatic rights as the family member would no longer be automatic. But... given that you are getting married in the UK, I'm actually not sure if you can let expire your Tier 5.

One could argue that, in your case, the answer is yes, because your husband was in the UK before Brexit, so even in a no-deal scenario, he still has the right to bring his family to the UK during the transition period (until 31st December 2020). The official communication in the Residence Card application page concerning EU citizens and their families reads as follows:
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
But, to be on the safe side, and unless someone else arguments otherwise, best to apply for your Pre-Settled status as soon as you get married. You would get it very quickly if you apply via the Android app (2 days in most cases), and you'll be covered.

Now, regarding your question, I'm assuming you are referring to eligibility for Pre-Settled status?:
My understanding was that you'd have to be exercising treaty rights on Brexit day to qualify, but I've been wondering about this scenario. Do you have any source for this?
As the non-EU family member of an EU national, in a no-deal scenario, you qualify for Pre-Settled status if:

1) The EU national is exercising treaty rights in the UK by the time Brexit takes place AND one of the following:
A) You are in the UK before 31st December 2020
B) Your relationship began before 31st December 2020

(The above inferred from the section 'If you’re overseas and a family member of an EU citizen living in the UK' here.)

Let me know if the above answers your questions. I think that, if you plan your applications, you'll have plenty of time to be covered.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:08 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
But, to be on the safe side, and unless someone else arguments otherwise, best to apply for your Pre-Settled status as soon as you get married. You would get it very quickly if you apply via the Android app (2 days in most cases), and you'll be covered.
Silly me, I just realized you can only apply with the app if you have a Residence Card, so I think you will need to send your documents by post. This will make the application processing time longer, but probably not much longer (?)

Your other alternative, if you really want to cover all bases, is to apply for a Residence Card now, as an unmarried partner, if you have lived together for more than 2 years. It is taking on average just over a month.

Brassica
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Brassica » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:08 pm
Silly me, I just realized you can only apply with the app if you have a Residence Card, so I think you will need to send your documents by post. This will make the application processing time longer, but probably not much longer (?)
Ah yes I see, I did wonder about this too because when I apply I’ll technically still have a valid biometric residence card from my tier 5 and wondered if this would count for that.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 pm

Brassica wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm
kamoe wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:08 pm
Ah yes I see, I did wonder about this too because when I apply I’ll technically still have a valid biometric residence card from my tier 5 and wondered if this would count for that.
The only way to answer this question with 100% certainty is to have been involved in the development of the Android app!

Now for my humble guestimate: from what one can gather on the Settlement scheme page, seems like for the application to be made via the Android app, the BRC needs to be one issued within the EEA route:
Apply now
You can only apply in the test phase if you’re either:

a passport holder from the EU
a family member of someone from the EU, and you have a residence card with a biometric chip and ‘EU right to reside’ on the back

You’ll also need access to an Android phone to apply in the test phase.
To the best of my understanding, there is no difference in technology used, between the test phase and the public phase, when the scheme opens fully. The only difference is that the latter allows you to send documents by post, so it could be inferred that the above means the Android app has been designed to check if the BRC is a EEA one, and only allow these, both in the test phase and when the scheme opens fully.