ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for settled status - dual citizenship declaration

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dzevel5
Mood:
Poland

Applying for settled status - dual citizenship declaration

Post by dzevel5 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi,

I have simple question.
during the process of applying for the new settled status, one of the question is "Do you have dual nationality?"

I currently have Polish and South Korean citizenship.
do I have to declare that I have South Korean citizenship? I just thought to keep this information to myself..
Why? I don't really have a reason, but not sure neither they have and they don't even explain why they need to know it. so I want to know, what happen if I answer "no" for the question "Do you have dual nationality?"
It's considered 'illegal' by law to keep this info private to myself?
if it's not illegal, so I want to keep this private.
Can they figure out?

Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for settled status - dual citizenship declaration

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:20 pm

If it's asked for you are obliged to answer truthfully - when you submit your application you certify to the truthfulness of your submission. Privacy doesn't really come into it - you are requesting the government to give you a certain status and they decide what to ask for.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Kruk

Post by Kruk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 pm

I think you should let them know about your dual-citizenship as per above you have to confirm that provided information is truthfully.

I think this questions is designed for those that actually have British and other European citizenship to automatically exclude them from applying. People are confused with the rules and my apply for Settled Status even when they already have British citizenship. If someone have British citizenship then it should not apply for Settled Status.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Kruk wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 pm
If someone have British citizenship then it should not apply for Settled Status.
Unless they're not sure they can prove that they have British nationality.