ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement Child under 21

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Exelsa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EU Settlement Child under 21

Post by Exelsa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Dear All,

Could you please help me with the following:

My husband and myself are EU citizens with settled status. A year ago we brought our son to the UK ( 8 years old; EU citizen, born outside the UK). This year I’m planning to naturalisé as a British citizen. My husband is not planning to do it.

Am I correct in the following:

* My son can apply through EU settlement scheme to get his ILR after the 30th of March? Is it necessary?
* I will be able to register him as a British citizen on a separate application form after I’m British myself. He won’t need to reside for 5 years ?
* Any possibility I can include him in my application straight away to make it easier?
I appreciate all your help.

Exelsa

NatCam
Georgia

Re: EU Settlement Child under 21

Post by NatCam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Your son was born outside the UK, you were not permanent residents at the time, he only lived in the country for a year - how do you think he can claim British citizenship?
If you were British by birth than - yes.

Exelsa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Exelsa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Thank you for your reply 💐 So does this apply: he can get ILR through EU Settlement scheme without spending 5 years and then after 1 year of having ILR he will be able to apply for British citizenship?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 am

Exelsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 pm
Thank you for your reply 💐 So does this apply: he can get ILR through EU Settlement scheme without spending 5 years
Yes - Rule EU11(7).
Exelsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 pm
and then after 1 year of having ILR he will be able to apply for British citizenship?
Once you have become British and he has ILR, you can apply to register him as British immediately.

You are thinking of the conditions for naturalisation as British. Only adults can naturalise, and for adults, 5 years of residence are still normally required, and for the last year. the applicant must be 'settled'.

Exelsa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Exelsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 am

It is very helpful! Thank you for your time and advice.