ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Have permit - but problems getting work

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teba18
Newly Registered

Have permit - but problems getting work

Post by teba18 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm Argentinian and did a Masters degree in London. I have IGS permit to work for one year (I think this can soon be extended to 2 years because of a change in rules) I get quite a few interviews but so far no job offers because employers are telling me they want a 5 year visa. Does anyone have experience of this and what did you do?

(I was hoping to settle in UK - I have English girlfriend and we live together for nearly a year)

Thank you

vinny

Re: Have permit - but problems getting work

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 pm

teba18 wrote:(I was hoping to settle in UK - I have English girlfriend and we live together for nearly a year)
When you have sufficient proof that you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership, which has subsisted for two years or more, you may apply for FLR(M) as her unmarried partner (295E). See form FLR(M) for list of acceptable documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:40 am

If you will work under Tier 2, the employer must sponsor you. Meaning, them telling you that you must have a 5-year work permit is something that the company must apply for and sponsor.

If you will work under Tier 1, then you can apply for that visa at any time. You will have it and may work for anyone.

My suspicion is that most (if not all) companies that tell you this are using it as an excuse. Either they are interested and would tell you that they will sponsor you, or you are eligible for Tier 1 and all you need is to show that you can apply for and be granted a Tier 1.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

teba18
Newly Registered

Post by teba18 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:56 am

Thank you for this information but I do not understand fully.
What would I need to show employers I can work under tier 1?
I have a degree from Argentina, 2year Masters from London and am 26 years old.
How do I apply and how long would I be allowed to stay in UK?
Thank you

imran99132

Post by imran99132 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi,

I think the companies which are saying this to you are not interested because they don't want to get involved in your (Old WP process) Tier 2 at the completion of this 1 or 2 yrs leave you have. But you don't loose heart and keep trying because there are still a lot of employer's who can give you job and sponsor you for your future Tier 2 application. Other alternatives are Tier 1 or you can apply on the basis of your girlfirend.

teba18
Newly Registered

Post by teba18 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks - I will carry on trying.
Still not too sure about tier 1 or how I can apply. I think I have to show high salary and just now I can't get that until I can get a job.
I know about my girlfriend but have a long time before we live together 2 years and I need to earn more money to help us!
I feel very stuck at this time!