ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for Visa in EIRE or wait till we're in Canada?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bambii
Newly Registered

Apply for Visa in EIRE or wait till we're in Canada?

Post by Bambii » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi everyone

Myself and hubby are selling everything and moving to Canada, the problem is we don't have a visa.

We've been to two different solicitors to get advise on which is the best queue to join, but both solicitors didn't really offer an indept service and couldn't advise us. :cry:

We are due to leave Ireland in about two months, so do we apply when we get over there or when we've bought a property or should we apply now and if so how do we correspond if we are applying from Ireland but living in Canada. :?

We will be buying a farm and probably creating at least one job, we will also probably have in excess of 1 million, we have two children, no convictions and a grandaunt living somewhere in Ontario who is Irish but now a citizen. What is the best queue to join and where should we apply from i.e. Ireland or Canada? How long does it take and if you're rejected can you join another queue? :)

All the information we have read is factually at the time of print, but nothing about how long to wait or where to apply from.

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Bambii

Based on the information you submitted it seem to me that you fall under the following (see this link) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... /index.asp

I do not think it is best for you to just sell everything and arrive at a Canadian airport without the proper documentation, visa or explanation as to why you are entering Canada. Oh yes the queue is very long especially for skilled persons but I do not know for other categories, I also want to jump the queue hopefully the new legislation will place me inline.
They fail to realise we are nothing in this world! we can disappear in a split second.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Apply for Visa in EIRE or wait till we're in Canada?

Post by JAJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:06 am

Bambii wrote:Hi everyone

Myself and hubby are selling everything and moving to Canada, the problem is we don't have a visa.

Are you serious??

You can't "move to Canada" without a visa to do so.

Bambii
Newly Registered

Post by Bambii » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Rockhal, thanks for the link will check this out.

JAJ, I know that we can go for six months without a visa and also we are free to purchase property within this time, If we have to we would come home every six months for a week or so until our visa's our sorted. I'm just trying to find out which visa we should apply for and are their any other routes available (Probably not), but no harm in asking. We are determined to live in Canada and will do anything to make this happen one way or another.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 am

Bambii wrote:Hi Rockhal, thanks for the link will check this out.

JAJ, I know that we can go for six months without a visa and also we are free to purchase property within this time, If we have to we would come home every six months for a week or so until our visa's our sorted. I'm just trying to find out which visa we should apply for and are their any other routes available (Probably not), but no harm in asking. We are determined to live in Canada and will do anything to make this happen one way or another.
The "visa waiver" you refer to is only to enter Canada as a tourist - it should not be used as a settlement visa, meaning you cannot work, establish a business or volunteer (?) with that visa. Also, it might not be possible to simply go back to Ireland and get another six months - the immigration officers might view this as seeking to settle and refuse you entry.

It is best to go to Canada first and see what you can do whilst there. However, I think the reality is that, for investor/entrepreneur/self employed visas you would need to lodge the application in Ireland and wait until you are approved. That is the standard procedure written on the website.

Bambii
Newly Registered

Post by Bambii » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am

I have being doing some research and the Investor visa seems to be the way to go, however you get a permanent residency card first then you can apply for citizenship down the road - my question is how long does it take to get a permenant residency card? or to be assessed under the investor visa system, I know it probably varies but on average? :?

TRV

Post by TRV » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 pm

"I know that we can go for six months without a visa and also we are free to purchase property within this time, If we have to we would come home every six months for a week or so until our visa's our sorted. "

Now we know, why Irish passport holders are looked down at US airport by immigration authorities.

"We are determined to live in Canada and will do anything to make this happen one way or another."

Good Irish tradition - Keep it up... May be you need to look at how you treat foreigners in your own country even if they got a job and come in to Ireland with a valid work permit and visa... How many times I have heard - "Bloody illegal immigrants" comments in the last 8 years in Ireland that I lived legally and worked full time with not a day on social benefits..and my wife too..we both altogether earn around 110k+ euro per year and pay tax...still no sign of a permanent residency in Ireland...

You want to live in Canada one way or another permanently and want to see how quick you can get the visa...get a grip man...

Oh..by the way, before you comment that I have no other option other than living in Ireland (becuase I am from fourth world country and if I don't like it, I can bug off etc.,), I lived in USA (legally) and have a Canadian PR as well (waited for three years to come thru') as a skilled worker. I am here becuase my job kept me here...and it is not just that I have nowhere else to go in the big planet...I moved around a lot because of my job and also wanted to see and experience different parts of the world...otherwise i would have ended up like you - pig headed thick ignorant arses...which never lived legally in any part of the world..starting from USA to Australia...

I am not alone, look at Ireland forum on this discussion board...and see for yourself...under topic of Long Term Residency...

Cath2008
Newly Registered

Post by Cath2008 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:40 pm

TRV - You sound very bitter. If you have such a low opinion of Irish people in general, no wonder you feel unwelcome in Ireland.

To the original poster - we're thinking of doing a similar thing, but going over on a visitors visa then getting a work permit while there. We've read posts where people have said they found it impossible to get a job before going over, then getting a temporary work permit - but it was much easier when they arrived in Canada. Maybe you'd want to try that route.

TRV

Post by TRV » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 pm

I have nothing against Ireland or Irish except when they call people coming into Ireland as "illegal" even with out knowing that person's immigration status and then call Irish in USA as "undocumented" and the Irish Government lobby for legalising them in USA rathar than penalising them for being illegal in USA.

They think low about their own country and that is why they assume that people coming in to Ireland are even lower than themselves. How sick is that? I don't have a word to call it other than ignorant...

I am bitter to the people regardless of nationality who is trying to do illegal things as they grab any oppurtunity that is reserved for a legal person.

TRV

Post by TRV » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Cath2008, with due respect - you haven't have a clue what is going on in Ireland..May I request you to look at Ireland forum...

Also, it is not just me who feel unwelcome in Ireland, any person who is not white but living in Ireland, would tell you the same....

There are incidents that immigration offices withheld a US citizens passport and trying to lock him up for hours when he went to get immigration stamp it - the reason given was - you are not white, how come you go US passport?

He have to get a lawyer to cover fo him. It is a news on the newspaper couple of years ago...

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Cath2008 wrote:TRV - You sound very bitter. If you have such a low opinion of Irish people in general, no wonder you feel unwelcome in Ireland.

To the original poster - we're thinking of doing a similar thing, but going over on a visitors visa then getting a work permit while there. We've read posts where people have said they found it impossible to get a job before going over, then getting a temporary work permit - but it was much easier when they arrived in Canada. Maybe you'd want to try that route.
cath

i lived in ireland for past 6 years. TRV was right. why dont u go to the immigration youself in dublin and see how many people xyasd@#$@#4523 about ireland. it suppose to be good because they working and earning money and got a good place to live, but it is the idiot incharge of the system make all the legal migrants suffer. i have irish friends. they are nice and good. but believe it or not some i met r pretty bad, but it can happen anywhere in the world.

i lived in canada for 6 years as well before i came to europe. i had stopped by immigration official in canada before, but i never had so much trouble compare to ireland. i was legal in ireland. i got a job. i had all the required documents and stamp from GNIB, but every time when i come back. i dont know if just me being unluck. the immigration officer always question me for some reason. i guess i can tell people about the way i look and nothing is wrong with the immigration officer in the irish airport huh?

i dont know what you think of the so call undocumented irish in other countries, particular the one in states. there are ilegal irish in canada as well. may be the economy has gone downward in ireland now. tell me that if i am wrong. what the irish government should have done for past 10 years is to ask those so call undocumented irish workers to come home. irish economy was good. i am sure they can get a job just like everyone else, but instead of doing that. they choose to ask other government to do ilegal stuff and pardon the illegal. it will send out the wrong sign to people. tell me if this is right or wrong? what if i showed up in ireland illegally and worked for years undetected under the irish immigration system. what would you think the people in ireland would say about me?????

Cath2008
Newly Registered

Post by Cath2008 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:48 pm

The original poster only asked what she could do to get to Canada faster - she still intends to apply for a visa. And she's taking a substantial sum of money with her, so it's not like she'd be scrounging off their government.

TRV - your remarks made me join this forum, so they did come across as being directed at all Irish people.

If you feel as though you've been discriminated against in Ireland, then I'm sorry. But it's unfair to take it out on the original poster. She was only asking for advice.

Mktsoi - there's good and bad people in every country. Irish immigrants were discriminated against for years - particularly in the UK and they still are by some people. So many of them probably have a good idea how you feel already.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Cath2008 wrote:The original poster only asked what she could do to get to Canada faster - she still intends to apply for a visa. And she's taking a substantial sum of money with her, so it's not like she'd be scrounging off their government.

TRV - your remarks made me join this forum, so they did come across as being directed at all Irish people.

If you feel as though you've been discriminated against in Ireland, then I'm sorry. But it's unfair to take it out on the original poster. She was only asking for advice.

Mktsoi - there's good and bad people in every country. Irish immigrants were discriminated against for years - particularly in the UK and they still are by some people. So many of them probably have a good idea how you feel already.
cath,

i am just talking about rule of law here. i tell u what. in where i am from, years ago, if u r not white, u wont be in the parliment working. i am just saying if the economy was going good in ireland, why didnt the irish government asked those undocumented workers come home to work instead of asking people break the law or bend the rules for them? is that right or not.

yes, cath, you are right. the original poster only posting a qestion and looking for advice, i agree with you.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Cath2008 wrote:T so it's not like she'd be scrounging off their government.
And tens of thousands of legal immigrants in Ireland are not scrounging either. More like the scumbags that run Immigration and Justice in general are scrounging off us legal immigrants. Do you know that we have to wait almost two years for a Long Term Residency Application now (that's after being here for the requisit 5 years). It used to take 6 weeks. It's 3 years to wait for citizenship...and you can be denied if you've ever signed on for jobseekers allowance (even though you are legally entitled to after working for two years).
The GNIB charges us €100 every year even if we have a two year work permit for a card that we are required to carry. Thats in addition to the €1000 they extort for the work permit. I read that the GNIB makes a profit of €500k a year off the GNIB card fee alone. You would think they could then hire enough people to process LTR applications within a reasonable time.
Then you have Bertie getting sweetened by the illegal Irish in the US lobby to try to convince my government to treat illegal Irish different to everyone one else in the US that is illegally there. Then he comes home to have Brian Lenihan (when he was Justice minister) to sanctimoniously justify deporting "illegal" spouses of EU nationals. Thats after denying legal Eu spouses residency in Ireland for not residing in another EU state first. Read some posts about that in this forum and see how that affects "integration" of immigrants to Ireland.

astartes

Post by astartes » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Cath2008 wrote:TRV - You sound very bitter. If you have such a low opinion of Irish people in general, no wonder you feel unwelcome in Ireland.
You sound very chauvinistic and arrogant. You have an unrealistically high opinion of Ireland. No wonder that the foreigners who keep that country running in spite of Ireland's gross lack of homegrown competence got sick of your attitude.