ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR as partner REFUSED again!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR (Spouse 5-year) Application REFUSED! Help!

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 am

Just applied in person for my husband’ settlement after 5 years on spouse visa but wasn’t granted settlement due to financial requirements not met.

Our situation:
My husband (applicant) has been working with same employer for the past 3 years earning above £18,600. But he recently got redundant and is still looking for jobs. I was house-wife for many years but recently started to work soon after he lost his job. My salary also exceeds £18,600 but have not been working more than 6 months. We applied ILR under Category B, my annual salary meets Part 1 condition, and our combined employment income in the past 12 months exceeds £18,600 thus Part 2 condition met.

However, the case worker said I cannot use my husbands past income to satisfy Part 2 in Category B because he is now not working and they only consider one person at a time. Which means, they only looks at the past income of that person who is still in employment but hasn’t been with the same employee for long enough. As my husband is now not in employment, whatever he earned in the past is not relavent and cannot be included!!

I just feel it is so unfair to us. The guidance didn’t say we can’t do that and in the second paragraph of section 5.3.9 it says “The gross amount of salaried or non-salaried employment income of the applicant’s partner (in the UK or overseas) AND/OR the applicant (if they are in the UK with permission to work)”.

Home Office intodued this finincial requirements to ensure people can earn enough to maintain themselves without access to public funds. We have been and are still earning more than required level. But just because we switched work between ourselves, which is very normal, now we are sucked!!

Please advise!!

vinny

Re: ILR (Spouse 5-year) Application REFUSED! Help!

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am

See also similar case (redundancy).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

S3TM
United Kingdom

Post by S3TM » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:03 am

When did you apply?

Can you appeal?

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am
See also similar case.
Hi. My husband is actually running his own business but hasn’t paid himself officially. As we thought he had met the requirements we didn’t include such information in the application. Can we still submit such information at this stage?

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am

qiuyifan2000 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 am
vinny wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am
See also similar case.
Hi. My husband is actually running his own business but hasn’t paid himself officially. As we thought he had met the requirements we didn’t include such information in the application. Can we still submit such information at this stage?
Forgot to mention his case is still pending as they offered him extension and is still waiting for his £500 NHS payment.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

qiuyifan2000 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 am
Which means, they only looks at the past income of that person who is still in employment but hasn’t been with the same employee for long enough. As my husband is now not in employment, whatever he earned in the past is not relavent and cannot be included!!

Appendix FM-SE is very complex. 13
seems to be the problem here.

qiuyifan2000 wrote:
You have to read the Appendix carefully to see what’s acceptable. Do you have any cash savings for the preceding six months?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am
qiuyifan2000 wrote:
Appendix FM-SE is very complex. You have to read it carefully to see what’s acceptable. Do you have any cash savings for the preceding six months?
No. We just bought a house and used up all our cash savings. The case worker has looked at all possible options for us on the day when we were at the premium centre. So on what grounds would he be able to give my husband extension?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 am

Perhaps the observations (34, 35) also applies?

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR as partner REFUSED again!

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:08 pm

My husband was granted 2.5 year limited leave to remain as unmarried partner on 16 October 2013. He was granted another 2.5 year in 2016.

On 16 October 2018, he applied for ILR under partner route and got refused due to financial requirements not met, and then was given 30 months leave to remain for family life.

Last week, after being able to meet the financial requirements, he applied for ILR again, and we just received the decision letter today saying he is NOT eligible for ILR because he was only granted 30 months leave to remain for family life which requires 120 months for ILR!

How stupid it is!!In the beginning of the letter, the officer already outlined my husband’s visa history, he should have know that my husband has already completed 5 years of residence as Partner by 16 October 2018!

What can we do now!? How can we appeal this decision? There is no information on the letter telling us how to appeal!

The letter is also asking him to pay another £1000 NHS surcharge in 10 days in exchange for 30 month limited leave to remain! Come on, we still have another 2 years visa in hand, why do we need to do that? Is our current visa still valid after this application, if we don’t pay for the ridiculous NHS surcharge?! We paid £3100 for super priority service and this is the level of service they provided!! How annoying it is!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR as partner REFUSED again!

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:14 pm

As he was put on the FLR(FP) 10 year route, he doesn't qualify for ILR now. He will need either 10 years of any visa stay to qualify for ILR based on long residence on SET(LR) form OR 10 years on FLR(FP) route for ILR on Set(M).

He can again switch to the FLR(M) route, but this will likely reset his 5 year clock again too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi. I don’t understand, to qualify for ILR as partner, does he has to have a valid visa as partner? I can’t see any rules saying so! As long has he has completed the 5 year period as partner, he can apply for ILR anytime once he meets all the requirements, no matter what visa he is holding at the moment!

When last time he was given the leave to remain for family life, the case worker told he to come back in a few months time for ILR, when he meets the financial requirements.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi. I don’t understand, to qualify for ILR as partner, does he has to have a valid visa as partner? I can’t see any rules saying so! As long has he has completed the 5 year period as partner, he can apply for ILR anytime once he meets all the requirements, no matter what visa he is holding at the moment!
He failed to meet the ILR requirements on form SET(M) last year due to not meeting the financial requirement. HO could have refused outright with NO option for further leave to remain but as he didn't meet the income requirement, he was offered and put on the FLR(FP) 10 year Partner route, which requires 120 months (4 x 2.5 year visas) before he can apply for ILR.

Private Life is a 10 year route and he needs 10 year in this category to qualify for ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... form-flrfp
private life in the UK (10 year route)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi. What I still don’t understand is that, why once he is put under the 10 year route, he is not qualify for ILR as partner, though he has already completed his 5 years period as partner and meet all other requirements for leave to remain as partner? Could you give a definite immigration rule saying “you have to be holding a valid partner visa when you apply for ILR as partner”?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 pm

What did the letter state last year when they gave him further leave to remain?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Thank you very much for your patience!

I can find out the letter issued last year later, but I don’t think it said anything that would prevent us applying for ILR today.

The case worker had a conversation with my husband las year, told me that he wasn’t eligible for ILR at that time because he lost his job and I had only started a new job 4 months ago. So he asked him to come back once I have been in my job for 6 months.

We waited till now, longer than 2 months, because we were busy. Now the system has changed we could not use Premium Servce again to see the same caseworker.

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:02 pm

How to attach an image?

The decision letter last year said:

I am writing to inform you that you have been granted a period of 30 months limited leave to remain on the ten year partner route under paragraphs D-LTRP1.2. of Appendix FM to the immigration Rules, as we are satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraphs R-LTRP 1.1.(a),(b) and (d) of these rules. You may be eligible to apply for settlement after completing at least 10 years under this route.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:51 pm

So he has been switched to the 10 year route as he didn't meet the requirements under the flr m/set m.

He has to wait unfortunately or switch back to the 5 year route from scratch again.

Note that once he has 10 years residence on any and all visas, he can apply for ILR anyway on form Set LR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:39 pm

So why did the caseworker last year asked him to come back in 2 months time as soon as I have been in employment for 6 months?

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 pm

What can I do now? Do we have to pay for the additional NHS surcharge? If we don’t pay for the surcharge will it invalidate my husband’s current visa which has still got 2 years to go? He will be eligible for 10 year residency in 3 months time.

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:25 am

Not paying IHS surcharge should not invalidate your existing remaining 2 years LTR but obviously your ILR will be refused again as everyone has told you.

As you are aware now you can apply ILR on 10 years lawful long residency basis but remember some visitor visa etc might not count in 10 years residency so make sure after 3 months when you apply ILR again you do know that you meet all requirements and it is also a best thing to see a competent immigration advisor for consultation as well before you apply ILR as it could save you lot of money and time. Immigration rules are very complex and not every person know each and everything about them... good luck for you and I hope you get ILR this time ..

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:05 am

Thank you! So basically we were just so “lucky” that were told wrong things by a caseworker last time!! Otherwise we could have just waited for another 3 months! £3100 waisted by that “luck”!

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am

At the moment the letter only gave us the option to extend 30 months under 10 year route. To my understanding, the previous 5 years time spent under the 5-year route cannot be added into the 10-year route, which means we still have nearly 10 years to go before settling under the 10-year route?

Can we ask the caseworker to switch to 5-year route again? As we have met all the 5-year requirements. Just to be on a safe side that if our 10-year residency application in 3 months time goes wrong somehow, we still have the option to settle after 5 years rather then 10 years!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 am

qiuyifan2000 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am
At the moment the letter only gave us the option to extend 30 months under 10 year route. To my understanding, the previous 5 years time spent under the 5-year route cannot be added into the 10-year route, which means we still have nearly 10 years to go before settling under the 10-year route?

Can we ask the caseworker to switch to 5-year route again? As we have met all the 5-year requirements. Just to be on a safe side that if our 10-year residency application in 3 months time goes wrong somehow, we still have the option to settle after 5 years rather then 10 years!
All legal residence qualifies for ILR under long residence. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

qiuyifan2000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qiuyifan2000 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 am

Found the following wordings on page 58 of Appendix FM Section 1.0a, published on 19 December 2018:

“If the applicant has already completed 60 or 120 months in the UK with limited leave as a partner, they should be informed that, should the reason they do not meet the requirements for indefinite leave to remain be overcome, they will be eligible to make a further charged application for indefinite leave to remain at any time within the 30 month period of leave granted under paragraph D-LTRP.1.2. or D-ILRP.1.2. They do not need to wait until their leave expires if they become able to meet all the requirements. If not, they should make their next application no more than 28 days before their leave is due to expire, or within 28 days of completing the period of leave in the UK required for them to be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.”

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page20

What would you think?

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:38 am

These above mentioned paragraphs do not apply to your circumstances as these are relevant if someone have not passed English language and life in the Uk Test etc But you were refused ILR correctly due to not meeting financial requirements and has been issued LTR on 10 years route.

Your best option at the moment to apply ILR on 10 years legal stay basis if you do meet all requirements.