ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I apply for EEA2 or Pre-settled (Very confused)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Should I apply for EEA2 or Pre-settled (Very confused)

Post by helloamaya520 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am

Hi, I am non-EU with my unmarried Irish Partner. We entered UK with EEA family permit.
I have just posted my EEA2 resident permit application yesterday with 1st Royal mail service to Liverpool. I looked in the forum said the resident permit could take few weeks. I was wondering should I have applied for the pre-settled status instead of as it seems much faster (one week)? Do you need a resident card to apply for the pre-settled visa? I am not sure what to do now as I am interviewing with few companies and they seem all need my resident card or letter from the UKVI to approve I can work. Anyone have similar experience and already received the pre-settled visa?

Application received by UKVI 5th April 2019
Waiting

kamoe
European Union

Re: Should I apply for EEA2 or Pre-settled (Very confused)

Post by kamoe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am
should I have applied for the pre-settled status instead of as it seems much faster (one week)?
I think a good call is to apply for both; first to the Residence Card, and later to Pre-Settled or Settled Status, in that order. Having a RC makes it easier to apply for Pre-Settled/settled status. You could have just applied for the latter directly and skip the RC, but... it being very new means there is no time-frame confirmed as of turnaround times if you do not already have a RC, and your physical card might take a while.
Do you need a resident card to apply for the pre-settled visa? I
No, but having a RC makes it easier, and I suppose, faster to apply, as you can use the Android app. No RC no App. All the two-day turnaround times you might have seen are likely of people who applied while already having the RC. If you do not have a RC and want to apply for the Sellted/Pre-settled status, the process it's a bit more complex, as you need to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information.

At least since I last applied for a RC, the process for biometrics for it is much simpler: you do not need an appointment and you can go to any post office that has the machine to process biometric details (photo booth and finger print scan; you'll receive a letter with the list of branches you can go to). So it does look like is much less of a hassle to not skip the RC.
I am interviewing with few companies and they seem all need my resident card or letter from the UKVI to approve I can work. Anyone have similar experience and already received the pre-settled visa?
I don't think you need to show any documents at the interview stage. I have never been asked to produce any that early on; it's usually a requirement on your first day of work. If they ask about your status, you can say documents are in process, expected within a month. That is in good faith a good estimate.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed answer!!! It is very helpful and now I am released a bit while waiting for an update from the application process. Hopefully, it won't take too long. And again thank you very much! :D

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am

Totally disagree with you Mr or Mrs Kamoe

Applying online even withour having residence card, is very easy and straitgforward. Instead of waiting for at least two-three weeks (biometric and COA), you can choose appopriate time for you to book an appointment, provide all documents at your appointment withour sending them by post and get your COA in few days.

Why you are not saying that there is no guarantee that HO won't make a mistake when applicant's name is spelled incorrectly or biometric letter lost in transit or whatever? Or COA never been issued for some reasons?

Also after providing NIN applicant will be offered settled/ presettled status straightaway without sending again the parcel up to 2 kg with evidence of your work history for the last 5 years. As the system will check automatically your residence in the UK.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 am

Romy88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am
Applying online even withour having residence card, is very easy and straitgforward. Instead of waiting for at least two-three weeks (biometric and COA), you can choose appopriate time for you to book an appointment, provide all documents at your appointment withour sending them by post and get your COA in few days.
Depending on people's circumstances it might be more convenient to just drop in at a post office! I applied twice for a RC with absolutely no issues. Last time it was extremely fast and smooth, because less and less people are applying for it.
Why you are not saying that there is no guarantee that HO won't make a mistake when applicant's name is spelled incorrectly or biometric letter lost in transit or whatever? Or COA never been issued for some reasons?
Because there is no guarantee that mixups don't happen, whatever the route your take. Take a look at this unlucky Pre-Settled case: eea-route-applications/pre-settled-stat ... 78604.html
Also after providing NIN applicant will be offered settled/ presettled status straightaway without sending again the parcel up to 2 kg with evidence of your work history for the last 5 years. As the system will check automatically your residence in the UK.
It's a choice between sending things by post on your own time and via priority post, and having to take time off to attend an appointment far from where you live, that might never open up. I am just conscious of the difficulties expressed by people in this thread: eea-route-applications/biometric-eviden ... 78197.html

Thanks for you input, I think there are pros an cons for both options, but given the OPs particular situation, in which they had already applied for RC before even posting their questions, there is no point in advising them to change the past.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:36 am

they had already applied for RC before even posting their questions, there is no point in advising them to change the past. - exactly :)

But I would encourage people to apply online and it doens't matter if they have got RC or not. Especially these cards will not be valid after 2020 and anyway people would have to apply for settled/ presettled status. In my opinion it is just waisting of time.

So far you are the only person who has experienced delay after applying online. There is another one with ROR but he already got his status after waiting one month and asking help from local MP. Am I right?

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Thank you for your answer. In this case, can I ask the UKVI sending back all my documents including my passport? Or should I wait for the application?

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Is there any person in the UKVI that I can contact regarding my situation?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:10 pm

This is getting a little bit off-topic from the OPs original questions, but since their chosen Subject line is very relevant at a general level, I think it adds some value to contribute to your latest comments, trying to not open a pandora's box too much:
Romy88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:36 am
But I would encourage people to apply online and it doens't matter if they have got RC or not.
The ideal position would be to state the pros and cons of both options and let people decide. Personal circumstances vary and what is convenient for some people isn't that accommodating to others.
Especially these cards will not be valid after 2020
That still gives them a good year and a half with a perfectly valid document. Not neglectable as an option.
and anyway people would have to apply for settled/ presettled status.
Yes, but once you have an RC, applying for the Settlement Scheme will be extremely fast and straightforward to do. No further biometrics needed.
In my opinion it is just waisting of time.
Until the Scheme has been open for a few months, and there is reliable and consistent data on turnaround times, there is still value on relying on the good old and tested RC if you need the certainty of a document. Since the RCs are and will still be valid for a while, it's not unuseful to have one.

Also, there is still some uncertainty regarding Brexit, and what will happen to the Settlement Scheme if at all it doesn't happen or if a substantial longer extension is needed (would people need to apply to RCs after all?). And, a little additional perk, since RCs follow a very standard European format, they are very easily accepted in Europe as proof of identity, as they look exactly like European documents.
So far you are the only person who has experienced delay after applying online.
This is incorrect. There are quite a few of us in the same situation, who have the very specific profile of non-EU family members of EU nationals, who have been in the UK for more than 5 years but have completed less than 5 years on an RC or FP. Seems like there is no clear policy on what of Settled or Presettled status to grant to us, hence the delay. Some people have had a decision made, after escalating their case, but the fact remains that we all had delays, so your statement is incorrect in saying I'm the only one.

These cases are quite specific and at no point influence my answers when it comes to advising newly arrived non-EU nationals, if that's what you are suggesting, as it simply does not apply to them. (Having said that, if anyone is reading this and has the unlucky profiles described in the paragraph above, it is useful for them to know that they won't get a decision any time soon via the Settlement Scheme, not without complaining and escalating their case!).

Bottom line is: I have no issues until December 2020 because... I have a RC!!! :)
There is another one with ROR but he already got his status after waiting one month and asking help from local MP. Am I right?
Again, this is irrelevant, as not applicable to the newly arrived non-EU nationals.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm
Thank you for your answer. In this case, can I ask the UKVI sending back all my documents including my passport? Or should I wait for the application?
In your case, having already applied for the RC, asking to withdraw your application and sending your documents back will only delay things. I believe, in your case, the fastest route to having any document to prove your status is to keep ahead with the RC application.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm

I apologise if my comments made you feel abused you in some way. I did not mean that. This is just overall view of feedback from the people who already made their applications online. For majority the result was successful considering the fact that they already had their RCs issued previously.

Basically you consist that for new arrivals the best way is to apply for RC first and then apply online for settled/ presettled status. My opinion is opposite. Istead of waisting time I would recommend to apply online. It is quicker, easier and more straitforward, free (except the situation when you choose to go and pay for your biometric like I did as first available appointment was due in 2 weeks time).

Yes, but once you have an RC, applying for the Settlement Scheme will be extremely fast and straightforward to do. No further biometrics needed. - no difference, without having RC once you apply online you will be redirected to book an appointment for biometric. The only issue is that free appointment will no be available or available in few weeks time. Good point is that some people will have to travel far away to the nearest available HO office to enrol their biometric. This is just matter of luck.

Regarding Brexit. Do you really think that HO has implemented this new system called EU Settlement Scheme with considering futher to cancel it??? No way. UK is leaving. It is decided. The only problem so far HOW UK WiLL BE LEAVING - with DEAL or NO DEAL?

Ok. Why do you think that HO do not know what to do with the people who have change their immigrationn status by switching from one visa to another? As far as I understand if you spent less than 5 years as non-eu family member of eu you will be considered for presettled status.

Have you been issuing COA since you have applied online two months ago?

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm
What is the point? You have already applied.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Romy88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm
Basically you consist that for new arrivals the best way is to apply for RC first and then apply online for settled/ presettled status.
This is not what I'm saying. Again, best policy is to let people decide based on their own circumstances.

I feel are you reading too quickly, misinterpreting quite a few points from my post, and therefore jumping to the wrong conclusions. I'm happy to discuss and to contribute to a constructive debate :), but probably best is to open a separate topic for the purposes of not hijacking the OPs question. For this reason, I will no longer reply to this matter in this post. If you want, I invite you to start a new thread on the question of the pros and cons of both options, to which I'll be happy to contribute.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Romy88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm
Basically you consist that for new arrivals the best way is to apply for RC first and then apply online for settled/ presettled status.
This is not what I'm saying. Again, best policy is to let people decide based on their own circumstances.

I feel are you reading too quickly, misinterpreting quite a few points from my post, and therefore jumping to the wrong conclusions. I'm happy to discuss and to contribute to a constructive debate :), but probably best is to open a separate topic for the purposes of not hijacking the OPs question. For this reason, I will no longer reply to this matter in this post. If you want, I invite you to start a new thread on the question of the pros and cons of both options, to which I'll be happy to contribute.

Up to you. I will not change my opinion. Have a look at this thread:

eea-route-applications/eu-settlement-no ... 78577.html

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Are there any contacts I can call or email to ask updates? I still not receiving anything from them yet. Very worried about the process.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:14 am

helloamaya520 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm
Are there any contacts I can call or email to ask updates? I still not receiving anything from them yet. Very worried about the process.
It is still very early to worry. You should be receiving a CoA and invitation for biometrics one week after application. Have your fees been deducted from the bank? this is also a sign that they have received your application.

There isn't really a reliable contact point regarding these types of application, that can tell you the status of yours; they will simply give you the same standard answer as everybody else: "it's in process, please wait"(and this is the case for any application route, be it Settled status or RC I believe).

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks a million for the quick response.:). I haven't received anything from case worker that they started processing my application. So a bit worried. Will I receive the COA and Biometric letter via email or post?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Will I receive the COA and Biometric letter via email or post?
By post.

kingmashosho
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kingmashosho » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 am

It seems you are just worried over nothing., as you just submitted or posted your application barely 2 days ago if i am not mistaking.

Firstly, check if your money has been deducted from your bank account by the HO. And if it has been deducted, in less than 3-5 days you will get a letter by post to attend biometrics in a Post Office which is about £19.27.
And in the following week you will receieve your Certificate of Application(COA) by post after attending your biometrics.

It is better you get your BRC before applying for the Scheme as it makes it faster and who knows what the future holds regarding Brexit? To be safer at both ends and besides, you loose nothing in getting your BRC.

Hope this helps?

Al the best.

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am

kingmashosho wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 am
It seems you are just worried over nothing., as you just submitted or posted your application barely 2 days ago if i am not mistaking.

Firstly, check if your money has been deducted from your bank account by the HO. And if it has been deducted, in less than 3-5 days you will get a letter by post to attend biometrics in a Post Office which is about £19.27.
And in the following week you will receieve your Certificate of Application(COA) by post after attending your biometrics.

It is better you get your BRC before applying for the Scheme as it makes it faster and who knows what the future holds regarding Brexit? To be safer at both ends and besides, you loose nothing in getting your BRC.

Hope this helps?

Al the best.
Thank you so much!!!! Will I get an email to confirm my case? Also I paid postal order so I can not see if they have deducted money. One more important thing, I haven't sent my partner passport as he is away for a business trip. Would they reject me because of this?

Many Thanks!!! :) :)

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Now I understand why you are so nervous.
When is your partner coming back?
You are unmarried parners so you might NOT get "long" CoA after all, even if the application is not rejected as invalid. HO wants to see original passports actually.
I would send the original passport by registered delivery as soon as possible, if I were you. Or withdraw the application and, and apply for settlement scheme when your partner is back.
It's a good thing you entered on Family Permit though. You have 6 months to solve the problems (if any, I'm not saying there will be.:)))
Good luck!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:33 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am
I haven't sent my partner passport as he is away for a business trip. Would they reject me because of this?
Did you send any other form of ID, like his national ID card or equivalent, to prove his EU identity?

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 pm

I have sent all photocopies of every page of his Passport and ID plus the bank statement and payslips.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:45 pm

helloamaya520 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 pm
I have sent all photocopies of every page of his Passport and ID plus the bank statement and payslips.
You need to send originals. it is clearly stated on the guide to supporting documents as an imperative:
Unless otherwise stated, please send original documents only. Photocopies are not acceptable. If
you’re unable to send the original, please explain why. We’re unlikely to be able to approve your
application without sight of the original document.
Without an original ID from your partner it is unlikely that your application is approved. I do not know if this means a straight rejection, or if they attempt to contact you to supply the missing documents.

As NatCam has said, you could either

a) withdraw your application here

Where it says: "You have asked us to withdraw your application and return your documents now. If we are due to make a decision on your case in the next ten days, would you prefer us to complete the process and then return your documents?" select NO, as otherwise they will just decide you will get a rejection.

b) send his original passport or ID by recorded post.

But... I would honestly wait for your letter to come, with your case ID, before you decide on any of the above. With a case ID the caseworker can much more easily identify, well, your case.(At least I think it is very risky to send his passport without any clear reference as to which application this should be attached to.)

Please, It is important to read carefully the instructions and document guidelines for any application you are making!!! This is, I must say, the number 1 cause of application rejections.

helloamaya520
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by helloamaya520 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I sent my original ID but not my partner (Irish Citizen). Would it be rejected?
Last edited by helloamaya520 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.