ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to EU Settled status - worth it?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

ILR to EU Settled status - worth it?

Post by ariskar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am

Hello. I would like to ask for opinions on the no-fee "conversion" of existing ILR status to EU Settled status.

Do you think it is worth doing?

The only difference I have noticed is status lapsing time due to continuous absence is 5 instead of 2 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR to EU Settled status - worth it?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am

You mean converting PR under EEA regulations into Settled Status?
You will have to do anyway by sometime 2021 (end of transition period) - assuming the date holds.
For naturalisation though I would use the existing PR now.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am
You mean converting PR under EEA regulations into Settled Status?
You will have to do anyway by sometime 2021 (end of transition period) - assuming the date holds.
For naturalisation though I would use the existing PR now.
OP has multiple topics on the circumstances and similar questions, bridging UK route and ILR to EU FM route or etc. Ops spouse is a refugee leave to remain holder and would qualify for ILR in form SET P soon.

Appears op is trying to find out if set P ILR can be converted to EU settled status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:27 am

ariskar wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am
Hello. I would like to ask for opinions on the no-fee "conversion" of existing ILR status to EU Settled status.

Do you think it is worth doing?

The only difference I have noticed is status lapsing time due to continuous absence is 5 instead of 2 years.
Moreover, the 5 year clock can be reset by a mere visit, whereas the 2 year clock is only reset by a resumption of residence.

The difference in lapse criteria make the promotion worth doing. However, if there is a no deal Brexit, I think there is a risk that the period will be reduced from 5 years to 2 years. 5 years is a concession won by EU27, not part of the UK's generosity. As to whether visits would be sufficient to preserve ILR if the absence limit were reduced to 2 years, one can only speculate.