ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Belgium Type D Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Foolishgrin
Newly Registered

Belgium Type D Visa

Post by Foolishgrin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:34 pm

I wonder if someone could give me some advice regarding Type D settlement visas for Belgium.

I am a British Citizen, employed and resident in Belgium. I got married a couple of months ago to an Indian citizen.

My wife has applied for and received a Type D settlement visa for Belgium. No end date is specified. It states that it is valid for Belgium and one other Schengen country for transit purposes. Despite specifically requesting multiple entry, the visa states that it is valid only for a single entry into Belgium.

We have been advised by the Belgian consulate in Mumbai that the ability to leave and return to Belgium (and to circulate within the Schengen countries) is gained following registration at the local commune. However, from experience, my own resident's permit as an EU citizen is only valid within Belgium - if I wish to travel outside Belgium I need to carry my passport. Would my wife be issued with the same thing or will she be given something different?

I subsequently checked with the federal government who state that the type D visa is indeed only valid for a single entry and that the ability to leave and return to Belgium is not possible with this visa. They referred us back to the consulate in Mumbai, who in turn told is that it had to be dealt with in Belgium.

My wife is due to arrive in Belgium next week, and we had planned to return to the UK the week after (she has a tourist visa for the UK) but what would she need to do in order to be able to transit through France and also to be able to return to Belgium? Is the card issued by the commune sufficient, or is there something else which needs to be done?

Any advice from anyone with experience of this process would be much appreciated. It seems a little strange that I, as an EU citizen can travel freely between EU countries (including my own) but my wife is restricted to the one in which we are resident.

Many thanks.

mym
Member of Standing

Re: Belgium Type D Visa

Post by mym » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Foolishgrin wrote:Is the card issued by the commune sufficient
Yes, it acts as a Schengen Visa (and should also act as a visa for the UK and Ireland, though they currently refuse to accept them as such) and when presented with her passport will allow her in and out of the Schengen States.
--
Mark Y-M
London

deepakmeetme
Newly Registered

Post by deepakmeetme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi,

The process would remain the same for your spouse also. She needs to register herself with the local commune after her arrival in Belgium within 72 hrs.

Once she registers and get the residence permit like you, then both of you can freely travel to other schengen countries as well for a maximum period of 90 days.

Regards.

INSIDER

Re: Belgium Type D Visa

Post by INSIDER » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 pm

mym wrote:
Foolishgrin wrote:Is the card issued by the commune sufficient
Yes, it acts as a Schengen Visa (and should also act as a visa for the UK and Ireland, though they currently refuse to accept them as such) and when presented with her passport will allow her in and out of the Schengen States.
Point of correction, an EU residence card does not act as a visa for the UK. Only exception is if it is a common format residence card/visa. And the passenger is in transit within 24 hours.