ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for wife after 5 yrs

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

princesh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR for dependant

Post by princesh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi there,

My wife came to the UK in September 2013 on a T4 student visa. She then became dependant on me (T1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa) on Jan 2015, and then dependent on me (T2 General) on Jan 2016, and then dependant on me (T1 Exceptional Talent) on Feb 2019.

I haven't applied for ILR yet but will apply in April.

Can she apply for ILR now (March 2019) before me? She has been in the UK for over than 5 years in total and meets all the other conditions (language, life in the UK test, etc.)

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR for dependant

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:59 pm

No she cannot. She needs 5 years as pbs dependent before she can apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

princesh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR for wife after 5 yrs

Post by princesh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi,

My wife and I came to the UK in Sep 2013 in student visas (both). She then became dependent on me on all of the following visas:
T1 Graduate Entrepreneur: Jan 2015 - Jan 2016
T2 General: Jan 2016 - December 2018
T1 Exceptional Talent: Feb 2019 (she is currently dependent on this one)

I got my ILR this month as Exceptional Talent (3 years work), and would like to apply for her ILR. The requirements online are that she spends 5 years in the UK which she already did. I couldn't find any clause where it says that these 5 years have to be in certain visas or certain visas are not counted. It just simply says 5 years. However, I have been told on this forum that T4 student and dependant on T1 GE don't count towards the 5 years. Could you please clarify if she will be eligible for ILR nowadays or not and why? and if not, could you please point me to the clause where it says T4 and T1 GE are not counted even if she's dependant on an Exceptional Talent who already got the ILR?

Please note that in her ILR application, it asks if she dependant on an Exceptional Talent, and if so, it shows different questions, so I would highly appreciate if you could get your information up to date.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR for wife after 5 yrs

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Her time on Tier 4 student visa does NOT count as Tier 4 does not lead to ILR based on 5 years residence. It can only be used for ILR based on 10 years long residence.

Immigration Rules Part 8 319D(e)(i)(a)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members
(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least the applicable specified period in either (i) or (ii), subject to (iii):
(i) If the applicant was granted leave as:
(a) the Partner of that Relevant Points Based System Migrant,
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

princesh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by princesh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks for the clarification. What about her time as dependant on T1 GE visa?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 pm

To get ILR under 5 years rule she must have 5 years under PBS dependant route. She also cannot apply for ILR under PBS unless you are granted ILR under the PBS route first (or apply together)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice