ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do retained rights of residence apply to non-EU spouse of UK Citizens? (Surinder Singh)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Johnjk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Do retained rights of residence apply to non-EU spouse of UK Citizens? (Surinder Singh)

Post by Johnjk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 pm

My ex-wife would like to apply under retained rights of residence and according to the following 10(5)
A person who ceases to be the family member of an EEA national sponsor because of a divorce, or annulment or a dissolution of civil partnership will retain a right of residence where all the following conditions are met:
• the EEA national was a qualified person, or had permanent residence, on the
date of the termination of the marriage or civil partnership.
• the applicant was residing in the UK in accordance with the regulations at the
date of termination and either: the applicant is not an EEA national but if they were, they would be a worker, self-employed person, or self-sufficient person in line with regulation 6, the applicant is the family member of the person described in the bullet
above • the applicant meets the requirements of either regulation 10(5)(d)(i), (ii), (iii), or
(iv) of the 2016 regulations.

My question is does "or had permanent residence" mean a British Citizen? (as well as someone who has permanent residence)

It seems I would not qualify as a qualified person as I was not continuously employed in the Uk but my wife was a still is working.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4.0ext.pdf

She entered the UK in January 2011 on an EEA family permit as we previously lived in an EU country and entered under Surinder Singh, received a Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA national May 2012 (which 'expired' in 2017. though according to EU law you automatically acquire Permanent Residence after 5 years)

Johnjk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Do retained rights of residence apply to non-EU spouse of UK Citizens? (Surinder Singh)

Post by Johnjk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 pm

She wants to apply for PR under retained rights of residence

NatCam
Georgia

Re: Do retained rights of residence apply to non-EU spouse of UK Citizens? (Surinder Singh)

Post by NatCam » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:44 am

No, it doesn't.

Johnjk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Johnjk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Is a British citizen not a permanent resident?

Johnjk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Johnjk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Does Eind ruling not count as that the British Citizen does not need to be exercising treaty rights?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:34 am

NatCam wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:44 am
No, it doesn't.
That is not current in circumstances where Surinder Singh applies.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Johnjk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Johnjk » Tue May 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Can anyone clarify when Eind ruling was revoked?