ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

reverberate007
Newly Registered

Work Permit

Post by reverberate007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Two questions regarding work-permit for UK
1. My application was submitted 5 weeks ago. No response. Is this normal? How much more could i have to wait?
2. Is it common for work permit applications to get rejected? Although my employer is a prominent financial services company, I'm begining to get worried.
Thanks in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:59 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 am

Hello reverberate007

If you look at the UKBA website using the link vinny posted you can see that they are not meeting their service standards at the moment of 70% of applications getting a decision in 5 working days & 90% in 15 working days!

It is obvious why this is - employers are getting their applications in before Tier 2 of the Points Based System goes live :lol: & UKBA have lots more applications to deal with with than usual.

Some applications do get refused, even from big well known employers. The more applications they have made, I am sure the better they will be at not making simple mistakes.

I would not worry, but you could get in touch with the employer. They can chase the application now it has gone past 15 days. On the other hand they may have forgotten to include something, or UKBA may have had a query & written - this all takes time.

My advice, get in touch with the employer. Good luck with the application.

Regards

PP

reverberate007
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by reverberate007 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks for the inputs. One further question. I followed the link and the website says that they are now considering applications submited after 28th May. Mine was made around 20th of May. That means mine should have been done by now.

I got in touch with my employer yesterday, and they said they were expecting to have the work permit next week. But added a caveat "you can never be absolutely certain".

Im OK with the wait as long as it eventually happens. Are there typicaly grounds for an absolute refusal of work permit?

Thanks!

anydaynow
Newly Registered

Post by anydaynow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi,

I have been offered a role at a large organisation and am going through the work permit process as well.

My application was submitted on 8 May and I have not heard anything yet. The lawyers acting on behalf of the employer have advised that there is a large backlog and it may be some time yet. They check in with the BIA regularly but this doesn't seem to help.

I understand how you feel reverb - very hard to plan, very frustrating.

I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Cheers, chin up.

Also - I couldn't find how the BIA define turnaround times but based on our experience it appears it may be based on distribution of work as opposed to completion of work.

anydaynow
Newly Registered

Post by anydaynow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 pm

That's too strange... I have just received confirmation from the lawyers that my work permit has been granted.

reverberate007
Newly Registered

Post by reverberate007 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am

Me too :)
cheers

reverberate007
Newly Registered

Post by reverberate007 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks to all for their inputs. I had a few more questions

1) Are there any hurdles left? I have heard that getting entry clearance / VISA is not really difficult.

2) While applying for the Work Permit, i was single. However, I recently got married. Do i need to inform the authorities? Does this affect my chances of getting a VISA?

3) My spouse also has an offer from a UK company and is awaiting her work permit. Incase she decides to come with me even before her work permit comes through, should she apply for a spouse visa or a tourish visa? Will this have a negative impact on either of our situations?

Will be extremely grateful for the inputs.
Thanks