ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK visit visa duration requirement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pravc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK visit visa duration requirement

Post by Pravc » Sun May 05, 2019 7:19 am

My mother-in-law has 2 years visit visa until 2021Apr . She came to UK on 17th Apr 2019 and will be staying with until 17th sep 2019 ( approx 5 months). can she come back to UK again in January 2021 ( within 3-4 months period after she left UK) ?

In Gov. uk website: following below informationmentioned but I want to make sure whether my understanding is correct?

V1.6 Within the period for which the visit visa is valid, a visitor may enter and leave the UK multiple times, unless the visit visa is endorsed as a single- or dual-entry visa.

So my understanding based on above point: she can visit the UK . Please confirm and appreciated if you can provide relevant uk immigration link.

Thanks a lot

KR
PravC

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK visit visa duration requirement

Post by CR001 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 am

How long will she be staying if she returns in January??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pravc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Pravc » Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 am

Hi,
Thanks. She will be staying 2 months.

Can you please advise ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am

How long did she state when she applied for the visa that she would be staying in the UK?? Did she say she was staying for 5 months?

She should not be staying in the UK for longer than 180 days per 12 month period that she is staying in her home country.

Below what moderator secret.simon posted to another user asking a similar question to what you are asking.
Essentially, the rule is that in the immediately preceding 12 months (of any day), your mother should not have spent more than 180 days in the UK.

So, after her entry into the UK, she can spend a maximum of either the amount she stated on her visit visa application or 180 days (whichever is less) and then she must reside outside the UK for at least the same amount of time as she spent in the UK.

Even if she exceeds the amount of time that she has stated that she will visit on her visit visa application, she may have issues when it comes to renewing her visit visa. She may also have issues renewing her visit visa if she resides in the UK for six months at a stretch. That would be seen by the UKVI as residing, not visiting and that is expressly forbidden by the Immigration Rules.
Section 4(2) of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules wrote:The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
...(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home;
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pravc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Pravc » Sun May 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks so much for reply. Yes, she applied for two years visa and she mentioned that she will stay for two months in this visit and also mentioned that she would like to do frequeant visits to UK S she has family . Based on that they approved 2 years visit visa.ok in this case , if 12 months period starts from her first entry (Apr2019) into UK then can she visit multiple times (based on 180 days) ? So that we will ask my mother to stay now for three months untill Jul17th and then she will come back in January to stay for remaining three months. Is this acceptable ?

Can you also please confirm what is 12 months period ? Is that Jan 2019 to Jan 2020 or else the day starts from first entry which is 17th ApR 2019 to 17th Apr 2020 .

Sorry for this long chat but I just want to make sure as we need our mother’s help in January due to my wife’s preganancy .

Thanks a lot

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm

12 month is not a calendar year. It counts from date of entry to the UK, i.e. any 12 continuous months.

Note that future visas will considered based on her abiding by the current visa rules, ie. if she stayed substantially longer than originally stated in her initial application, UKVI can take the view that she is using visitor visas to live in the UK. Members have reported elderly parents being refused a second/third etc visa for staying much longer than originally stated.

Why does your MiL need to come back so soon to stay for a further longer period??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 pm

As CR001 has already highlighted, staying for 5 months on this visit when she had stated 2 months in her visitor visa application, may well reflect badly in the future, including the possibility of being refused entry when she arrives again in January 2020.

Was your mother asked by the Immigration Officer at the Port of entry the intended length of her visit :?:

A 5 months visit followed by a further 2 months will mean she will have spent more time in the UK in a 12 month rolling period than she has spent in her home country. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Pravc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Pravc » Sun May 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes, Immigration officer checked her return ticket in airport ( which is booked in 5th month from entry) and phoned us and enquired about her insurance then we clarified that she has insurance then they said they have no objection and released from the airport.

As per the suggestion, now we have decided that she will stay here only three months now and again we will ask her to return in Jan 2020 for three more months which covers 180 days within 12 months period .

Reason for inviting her again in Jan 2020 is my wife’s due date in Jan 2020 and my ML wanted to support during this crucial perios and of course to enjoy beautiful moment with grand child.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Dear All,

Looking at the above, I understand about time spent in out of UK. My question is, does it matter if the time spent out of UK isn’t in the home country. E.g. if my parents (home country Pakistan) have stayed with my brother in Dubai for 6 months in last 12 months? Would it/could it cause issue when applying for UK visit visa.
My parents are retired and prefer to spend time in Dubai with my brother?

They get visit visa for Dubai to travel

Many thanks

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello,

Can someone please shed some light on the above question.

Thanks

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Another try to get the answer for the question above
There must be people with similar experience or knowledge

Not sure if I should try as a new thread?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 pm

KA941 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm
Another try to get the answer for the question above
There must be people with similar experience or knowledge

Not sure if I should try as a new thread?

Thanks
You should continue in your own existing topic please so that members can understand the full circumstances and history rather than digging up old threads to tag onto.

general-uk-immigration-forum/another-mo ... 39-20.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)