ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NITIE NARIC

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uktier
Newly Registered

NITIE NARIC

Post by uktier » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi All,
I have done my PG diploma from National institute of industrial engineering, NITIE, mumbai. like the IIM's this is also not affiliated to any university and hence does not show up in the self assessment tool.

Was wondering if anyone knows whether the degree is considered equivalent to Masters by NARIC.

thanks,
R

anandpathak

NITIE PGD -points in Tier 1 -general

Post by anandpathak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:56 pm

hi..
i also have PGDIE from NITIE (IE-32) . i got the qualifiation assesed by NARIC.
I got the assesment as "equivalent to Pos graduate dimploma standard" In Dec2009. My classmate got "equivalent to masters degree standard" in Feb 2009.
Called up naric few days back they said as per current guidelines, mine is correct and my batchmates is wrong as they give PDG to every qualification which starts with PDG and not part in list of Association of Indian Universityreputed institute list.
I have requested for Re-assesment with letter from AIU , which i had got from NITIE, this letter was issued by AIU in year 1975
If u have any update ..pls let me know urgently.
Best Regards
Anand
mobile:9341303064
bangalore

vks

Post by vks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Why don't you guys get your degree assessed by NARIC ?
(If there is no reference already available)
Regards,
vks

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:08 am

vks wrote:Why don't you guys get your degree assessed by NARIC ?
(If there is no reference already available)
Hi VKS,
It seems you missed the very first line in my posting. I have clearly written that i got my qualification assesesed by NARIC in December 2009 and got the assesment as "Post graduate diploma equivalent" . My classmate got same qualification assesd by NARIC and got the assesment in Feb 2009 as "Masters degree standard"
looking forward to your more valuable input on these two different assesment for the same qualification by NARIC.

Best Regards
Anand

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: NITIE PGD -points in Tier 1 -general

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 am

anandpathak wrote:I have requested for Re-assesment with letter from AIU , which i had got from NITIE, this letter was issued by AIU in year 1975
A letter issued in 1975 may be of no use at all. A lot could have changed in 35 years!!

If NARIC uses AIU's publication as a reference for determining comparable UK standard for qualifications awared by Indian institutions, then they would be periodically re-assessing the qualifications based on the AIU publication current at the time re-assessment. The current (latest) publication is the University Handbook - 31st Edition. You need to find out (all) the details of your course / qualification as published in the latest University Handbook - the handbook doesn't only list member institutions but also contains detailed information about the course structure, duration, examination information etc. etc. All this information is taken into account by NARIC when it assesses any foreign qualification.

Likewise, if you wish to submit a letter from AIU, I believe, NARIC will only be satisified with a letter from AIU issued in the recent past .... not the one from 1975.

Nevertheless, I hope things go your way. All the best.

regards

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 am

sushdmehta wrote:
anandpathak wrote:I have requested for Re-assesment with letter from AIU , which i had got from NITIE, this letter was issued by AIU in year 1975
A letter issued in 1975 may be of no use at all. A lot could have changed in 35 years!!

If NARIC uses AIU's publication as a reference for determining comparable UK standard for qualifications awared by Indian institutions, then they would be periodically re-assessing the qualifications based on the AIU publication current at the time re-assessment. The current (latest) publication is the University Handbook - 31st Edition. You need to find out (all) the details of your course / qualification as published in the latest University Handbook - the handbook doesn't only list member institutions but also contains detailed information about the course structure, duration, examination information etc. etc. All this information is taken into account by NARIC when it assesses any foreign qualification.

Likewise, if you wish to submit a letter from AIU, I believe, NARIC will only be satisified with a letter from AIU issued in the recent past .... not the one from 1975.

Nevertheless, I hope things go your way. All the best.

regards
Thanks a lot Mr. Mehta for the valuable input. I will definately investigate in this directions. My institute NITIE Mumbai is a governed by Government of India under ministry of HRD and very similar to IIMs and IITs and about 40 year old.My course itself is 35 year old. The problem is AIU issues letter only once and that also not to an individual but to the institute. I am sure you are aware of the working of Govt organization and Govt institutes especially in India :) . But i will definately give it a try requesting NITIE to get a fresh letter from AIU and wait for 2-3 month as i dont have any other option.
The second point is how can NARIC assess the same course in two diffrent level in a span of 7 months ( Feb 2009 and dec 2009) . When i enquired with NARIC they said.."Unfortunately it has happened but your assesment seems to be correct , you may file for a review if u wish"
Could you please share where can i get the mentioned university handbook 31st edition.
Best Regards
Anand

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am

anandpathak wrote:how can NARIC assess the same course in two diffrent level in a span of 7 months ( Feb 2009 and dec 2009) . When i enquired with NARIC they said.."Unfortunately it has happened but your assesment seems to be correct , you may file for a review if u wish"
As I mentioned above, I believe that re-assessment(s) are a regular feature and happens for valid reason(s). But I am neither aware of the how and the why!! I believe NARIC has strong relationships with similar organiations in different countries (e.g. - like AIU in India) that ensures regular and mutual exchange of information / updates about various qualifications from the respective countries ... so NARIC might not be dependent on just the publications (which my earlier message might seem to suggest) and therefore able to re-categorize qualifications as and when NARIC becomes aware of changes in "qualifying parameters" - whatever they are!
anandpathak wrote:Could you please share where can i get the mentioned university handbook 31st edition.
It will only give you the information about the various courses (including yours) at AIU member universities. Not how NARIC determines the comparable UK standard for any listed qualification. Nevertheless, see AIU Order Form.

regards